Computer Freezes on many things, Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PJK

Banned
Hello,
I have posted here several times, and I got some help, but the problem still persists. After being online for 30 minutes or so, or even having the computer on that long, here are some freezes that occur:
-Ctrl+Alt+del - nothing will happen.
-When I right-click and go to save as, the window will freeze.
-And i just noticed, when i go to right-click, view source, the window freezes.

Also, I have AVG, and AntiVir Guard.... and everytime I scan AVG I pick up a LowZone virus, I heal/delete/move to the vault, and it keeps coming back. Any help is grealy appreciated, thanks
Pat

You need to turn off System Restore, then run the virus scan, remove the virus, then re-enable System Restore. The reason for this is that the virus will reside in the Restore folder which is not cleaned by the anti-virus program. Upon reboot, the virus re-infects your computer.

PJK

Banned
Hello,
Okay, thanks, I will do that. Is that all I have to do? I will do this and see if the problem persists.
Pat

PJK

Banned
I did that. I also scanned in safe mode. Then I rebooted and turned the restore back on. Immediately when I got online, an AVG warning came up saying these 2 have been found on the computer:
cracknails[1].exe
updatees.exe
eraseme_33457.exe

I moved both of them to the vault, is that what I should do? And what can I do to prevent them from coming back? They are probably back into the system restore... so I will just be running in circles. Thanks

No i do not see any problems, but that doesn't quite help this person.
Here is what i would like you to do, ok? Please follow these instructions to a T, i worked hard making them! ...ehh not really but still.

1. First, turn off your system restore.
a. To turn off system restore, click Start -> Right Click My Computer -> Properties.
b. Click the System Restore tab and Check the Turn off System Restore option.

2. Second off reboot your computer in safe mode.
a. To do this, tab F8 over and over upon booting up your computer.
b. A black screen will appear, press enter, when safe mode is highlighted.
c. You'll then have to pick an operating system to boot off of, there is usually only one.

3. Thirdly, id like you to delete your prefetch folder.
a. To do this third step, click start -> my computer -> C -> windows -> prefetch.
b. Now, you will see a bunch of files, highlight and delete them all.

4. Yay.. i counted to 4!
a. Yes that is an accomplishment for me!
b. Now, remember you're getting computer help from a moron like me! Does it make you that much more confident!?!?!

5. Scan all of your computer with AVG, delete what ever it brings up.

6. Reboot your computer and turn on system restore.
a. To turn on system restore, click Start -> Right Click My Computer -> Properties.
b. Click the System Restore tab and Uncheck the Turn off System Restore option.

7. Tell me how it goes.
-blitze

PJK

Banned
Alright, I will do that. That is pretty much the same as what I did earlier, and it fixed the problem until the second I got online. I have CCleaner, and that will delete the prefetch folder, I think, other than that, I pretty much did all that, but I will try it again. The virus just got picked up again today, it is LowZones.BN, it s a trojan. It must be related somehow to updatees.exe and cracknails[1].exe. What I did was turn off system restore, i clicked apply and okay, I scanned my computer with AVG, and removed everything from the vault, and then rescanned once more. I then scanned with Ad-Aware and Microscro Anti-Spyware, and deleted everything, then I ran the CCleaner and it cleaned up the computer. Then I went into safemode, and scanned with AVG, it found nothing so I didnt delete anything. And I scanned in safemode as well with the Ad-Aware and it didnt remove anything because it found nothing. Then I rebooted, and turned system restore back on. Then I dialed up to the net, the second it authenticated, the virus came back up. When I try to delete it now, it says that action is not available. What I will do is follow your steps and see if anything improves, and I will get back with you. Thanks
Pat

PJK

Banned
I did what you said, when I ran the scan after I emptied the virus vault it found nothing, and so far, nothing is on. Any ideas on how to block the viruses from coming in? I will keep you updated on this thread if my freezing issues continue.
Pat

AVG, make sure it is updated and running. Also get a firewall, such as zone alarm. Those 2 will keep most of your viruses and such out. (Z/A is free and a highly recommended firewall). Keep me updated on this, and we will see what happens. If it does, we'll try a manual delete of this, ok?
-blitze

PJK

Banned
Hey,
That sounds good. Can you link me to Zone Alarm please? Also, how big is it? Thanks
Pat

PJK

Banned
Hey,
Both of those viruses just got picked back up. When I tried to download that file, the window freezes, so I am going to try to download it real fast, and then re-due your directions. Also, I will be sending you a PM in a few minutes to discuss a few things. Thanks
Pat

Ok, time for the other fix then. what is the exact name of the virus avg is picking up?
-blitze

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online