1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes on startup and requires multiple boot-ups to start normally

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Spix, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spix

Spix Thread Starter

I have been having an issue with my computer starting up. When I turn it on in the morning it freezes at the Vista splash screen so I am forced to manually shut down the computer. Then I turn it on again and it brings up the start windows normally or safe mode screen. I've tried going on both options, safe mode works without freezing and start windows normally doesn't because it loads until the splash screen and freezes again, making me manually turn it off again. The second time it freezes and I shut it down and turn it on again it brings up the start up repair screen. I have to run the start up repair otherwise it will just keep freezing and I can't use the computer. Once the repair ends it says that there are zero errors. I am then able to start windows normally, and this process only happens the very first time I try to turn the computer on that day. I have tried to just keep the computer on, I have tried to put it into sleep mode, etc but the computer just ends up freezing again. I have tried starting it without things like the mouse, printer, speakers, etc plugged in (only the keyboard plugged in) but it still doesn't work. I have also tried to uninstall recent software but that still doesn't work. I have searched with my antivirus and no viruses were found. This problem has been going on for over a week now. I've researched possibilities but have found nothing helpful. If you know what could be causing this problem please let me know!
    Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 333827 MB, Free - 35952 MB; D: Total - 9569 MB, Free - 887 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Lancaster8
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Spix
    Welcome to Tech support Guy

1. Please clarify this statemment
    I find it a little confusing.

2. Does your post contain ALL you have tried
    If so am I correct in saying that you have not run a system file check or a chkdsk

3 Does this
    mean that if you shutdown and restart AFTER the first start in the morning ALL IS OK

4. Is the computer a branded make if so what please is the make and FULL model details

3. Spix

Spix Thread Starter

1. When I try to start in safe mode it works but when I choose the "start windows normally" option doesn't because it just goes back to freezing on the Vista splash screen.

2. I have done a chkdsk but I am not sure what you mean by run a system file check. What does that entail?

3. Yes you are correct, after the first time going through this process it doesn't happen again, even after it is shut down completely the same day.

4. I am not sure what a branded make is, could you clarify please.

4. dai

dai

what does the bios list for the 12v line voltage

5. Spix

Spix Thread Starter

How would you find this out?

6. dai

dai

boot into the bios

on the advanced page look for hardware monitor on a asus board

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    SFC /SCANNOW (in my opinion not likely to help, but certainly does not hurt)

HP? Dell? Acer? etc.

8. Macboatmaster

When you have done what has been suggested
    ensure when you shutdown that it is a complete shutdown and not into sleep or hibernation
    Then before you shutdown configure it to start in clean boot
    Here is how
    Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.Click Start

[​IMG]
    type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.

[​IMG]
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or provide confirmation.

[​IMG]

On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

[​IMG]

On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
    Click OK, and then click Restart.

When you then boot again, a message will be displayed regarding system configuration utility, simply click to check the small box "Do not show this message again"

Then please when you boot for the first boot of the day see how it is please.The ONLY other precaution you need to take
    is to ensure when you boot into the clean boot that Microsoft Security Essentials is runing.
    If it is not - start the MSE from the taskbar icon, which will be red instead of green, by opening the program and clicking start

9. Spix

Spix Thread Starter

dia
    I have not found anything on a asus board.

10. Spix

Spix Thread Starter

TerryNet,
    I have ran the scan SFC /SCANNOW and I have got the following result.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
    The computer is a HP Compaq Presario PC SR5350F

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was wrong. sfc /scannow did help something. :)

12. Spix

Spix Thread Starter

Macboatmaster,
    I have done the steps above, and I will tell you how it goes in the morning.
    Another thing, Microsoft Security Essentials is not my current Antivirus. For some reason Tech Support Guy System Info Utility says it is on, but I have Avast for a antivirus. I have had a problem with MSE for some time now, and when I try to turn it on it says, "The Security Center service can't be started."

13. Macboatmaster

So do you still have both MSE and Avast installed, becuase if so that is NOT right and even if MSE reports it is turned off, it still should not be on the system with Avast.

Do you by any chance use CCleaner, in default mode it alters MSE files. That is the normal cleaner not the registry aspect which you SHOULD not use.

Run SFC again it only fixes so many violations at once, if still files fixed run it again - 3 times is recommended if it does not fix all on third attempt it is not going to. What we are looking for is NO VIOLATIONS found

"If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 or more times to completely fix everything that it's able to."

We can explore the logs later of SFC later , if necessary

14. Spix

Spix Thread Starter

Yes I do have MSE and Avast installed, if I can get MSE working again I don't need Avast anymore.
    I have used CCleaner, should I not use it anymore?
    I have ran the SFC more than 5 times yesterday, and I still said it found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. I have never got the NO VIOLATIONS found, should I keep running it till it does? Or is there a error and, it is repeating the same problem, and fixing it over and over again?
    Would you like to see the log, because I was able to look at it, but was not able to know what to look for.

15. Macboatmaster

Spix
    CCleaner and MSE
    http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=36952

IMHO running CCleaner as a REGULAR maintenance is both unnecessary and unless YOU know what to clean and what not to clean is risky

When in clean boot does it still fail to load on morning boot

re the logs - I cannot look tonight we are going out visiting friends
    Here is how to do so.
    YOU save the logs as a txt file.
    You then open that and use Edit tab and find
    You then want these entries

Cannot repair member file
    This entry indicates that the file content does not match the operating system definition for the file. In this situation, the SFC.exe program cannot repair the file.

Repaired file file details by copying from backup
    The SFC.exe program can repair this file by copying a version from a private system store backup. Repairing corrupted file

Repairing corrupted file
    This entry indicates that a problem exists with a file. The SFC.exe program can repair this file by copying a version from the system store.

Therefore the important one is the FIRST ONE
    so you search the logs on that cannot repair and then when you find it you note which file it is by slecting the entry and copy and paste that to a separate word doc

You then have only the entries that are cannot repair

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

and finally for this post although you say you have done a chkdsk please do another one
    Start
    in search type
    cmd
    when it appears above right click and click run as admin
    when cmd opens
    type
    cd\
    that should get you to a C prompt
    type
    chkdsk /r (note space between chkdsk and /r)
    agree to run on restart
    normally by keying Y
    do so
    when it has finsihed and rebooted
    go
    Control Panel
    Admin tools
    Event Viewer
    windows logs left pane
    application
    when that loads you want the wininit source, click the source column heading once to sort
    then you want the chkdsk results
    in right pane click find
    type
    chkdsk
    then find the ONE for the last chkdsk
    and when you have opened that click copy
    paste and then add to reply
    AS the copy and paste please not as an attached file

Here is how
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html
    see from cmd prompt please

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice