1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer freezes/random restarts, and nothing seems to fix it.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wendigo6x3, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wendigo6x3

wendigo6x3 Thread Starter

please people, bear with me. im sure you have seen a ton of these, but this one isn't like any one i have heard of. i cant figure it out and its driving me up a wall.

An interesting thing is that when i run Team Fortress 2 in the background, it doesnt seem to freeze at all. i have 2 GB of RAM, TF2 takes up approx 450mb of RAM. i dont know why my computer would run so well with that much ram being taken up. I tried doing a harddisk error read through windows, but it froze 40% through the scan of the free space (part 5 of 5).

i couldn't seem to get a RAM scan to run properly. i tried using the WINDIAG device put out by windows, but none of the commands worked. any other possible ways to scan my memory for errors?

I am in a dorm at Ohio State, and i had these same problems last year living in a dorm. they eventually went away, and now that i am back here i am having issues again. except now, i have to restart my comp at least 20 times a day just to get things done. running itunes seems to make it freeze within 5 minutes.

possible causes i have come up with that i really have no idea how to check either because it freezes before scan is complete, or i cant get the check running, or i just dont know how to:

Bad PSU connection to outlet
    Bad PSU overall (it is a 400w PSU for the record...)
    RAM Failure
    HDD Failure

I enabled the BSOD report thing, (Press WinKey + Pause -> Advanced Tabbed -> Settings (under startup and recovery) -> uncheck automatically restart) but it never shows up when
    the random restart happens.

i ran 3 different virus scans the other day (many different attempts because it would freeze during the scan a lot of the time...), and my system is apparently clean now.

i tried checking the event log and there was a program, EAPOL, that was faulty, and would run. i looked it up and EAPOL is apparently a culprit that will cause freezes when an audio file is tried to play (http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/eac/knowledgebaseAnswer/0,295199,sid63_gci1053953,00.html)
    . I disabled the 802.1X on both of my adapters (even the one im not using), and my computer ran longer than it had in the past 2 months. I thought my problems were over, so i went to sleep. I had accidently left my speakers on, and i heard the windows loadup sound about 15 minutes after going to bed. it as back to its usualy self.

I have no idea which way to go on this, any ideas you guys may have?

2. ThePrutser

ThePrutser

Before jumping to conclusions... How old is your computer?

For testing the memory, check this out: http://www.memtest.org/

3. wendigo6x3

purchased beginning of summer '06.

4. ThePrutser

ThePrutser

Ok that does not seem to be that old, but it never hurts to check to see if the inside is clogged by dust. If so, do remove it!

I don't think it is the PSU, because then you should experience loss of power. How are the temps inside the case and of the various components?

You could also try the Hirens BootCD. With this CD you can run various diagnostic checks before/at boot time (including the memtest!).

5. wendigo6x3

CPU is at 51 degrees C. it usually sits around there. PcProbe2 (software that came with my mobo) says that it sometimes gets above 60. but when it freezes or restarts, it isnt up in the 60's. i dont know where it should be at...

i just cleared out the cpu fan, and the heatsink, of any dust that could be stopping the flow.

i can never seem to get bootable discs working, because i have a usb keyboard, and it wont load up the usb drive when i put a bootbale disc in.

6. ThePrutser

ThePrutser

If it is not above 70C you should be in the safe zone and as you are in the safe zone... the dust wasn't the problem... although it is always a good practise to keep the inside as dust free as possible...

how about a bootable usb key?

7. endfro

endfro

Download and run a Memtest.. if your computer cant make it 8 hours on memtest your PC isnt stable. If everything is at stock levels (not OC'd) then we are dealing with a definite hardware problem.

Also, download Orthos and Prime95, make sure to run one of those two programs (I prefer Prime95 these days) at a full load on your CPU. If you have 2 cores, make sure both cores are under a load. Again, 8 hours of this.

What other system specs do you have? Telling me you have a 400w power supply doesnt tell me anything about your system itself. The more info I have on your hardware the more of a help I can be.

8. wendigo6x3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

again, i cant run any of these memtest's or bootable disk tests because i have a usb mouse, and the usb port wont operate when a bootable disk is in. unless you guys know a way for me to set the usb to boot before my bootable...nothing i can do there unless i get a ps/2 adapter.

9. ThePrutser

ThePrutser

Just to be sure... there aren't any settings in the bios which are accidently misconfigured? Like rebooting if the CPU temp get higher than 60C ?

10. wendigo6x3

uh, if there is something like that, i didnt set it that way...

11. endfro

endfro

The memtest ISO and any of the other programs suggested to you that are bootable do not require a mouse.

Orthos and Prime95 are windows applications.

As far as your info about your system goes, thanks for more info, but I was hoping for more like a list of specific parts.

One thing I can suggest is grabbing CPU-Z www.cpuid.org and sending me the text dump file you can make from it.

12. wendigo6x3

13. wendigo6x3

ok, i am running prim95 stress test. it is currently using up 1.5 GB of ram. i turned it on, went to class, came back, and was amazed it wasnt frozen. if i leave my comp on when i go to class, whern i come back, 9.5 times out of ten it will be frozen. this coupled with the fact that it never freezes when i run TF2 (about .5 GB of ram needed) leads me to believe that something weird is going on with my RAM, as if it NEEDS to be heavily used to function correctly. any thoughts?

14. wendigo6x3

bump. sorry, kinda lame, but my recent discovery that could be a breakthrough is moving down the charts. i just wanna get this figured out :mad:

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

See what errors show up in the Event Viewer. In a perfect situation, all the RAM would be used all the time. That way, paging to disk would be minimal and cached files would be immediately available. Of course, even RAM that is not showing in Task Manager as being used by apps is being used by disk and file caching, so the majority of your RAM is being used all the time.

If it is during seemingly "idle" times that the freezing comes on, maybe it is some task scheduled to run when the machine is idle that is causing a problem.

In any case, the EV might tell us something.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!