1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Markdbr, Dec 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Markdbr

Markdbr Thread Starter

Hello,

My computer randomly freezes when i use it. It mostly happends within the first minutes after i started it. The screen freezes and sometimes you hear screeching sounds. On the forum i saw more of these problemes, but the weird thing with mine is that the computer never freezes when i'm playing a game...

Things i already did:
    - formatted my drives and installed a new copy of windows 10
    - updates all my drivers/bios etc.
    - installed a new videocard
    - memory test from windows

Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU - AMD FX-8370: Vishera 32nm Technology
    RAM - 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-UD3P
    Graphics - 8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Gigabyte):
    Storage - 465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)):
    Optical Drives - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1

All specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TcwnEp4iQqRxJhwNCgAbLXH

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one other than you has any idea what motherboard you are running, what pw supply, etc. Post ALL of your exact system specs. Note 16gig of ram does not tell us much however 2x8 of corsair xxx123 would tell us a lot more.
    Next have you checked your temps and voltages? If not do so. Most board mfg have purpose designed monitoring software on the support page however we have no idea what board you are using so that may or may not be an option.

3. Markdbr

Markdbr Thread Starter

Thank you for your comment. I added the exact specs from my computer:

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU - AMD FX-8370: Vishera 32nm Technology
    RAM - 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-UD3P
    Graphics - 8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Gigabyte):
    Storage - 465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)):
    Optical Drives - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1

Information from speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TcwnEp4iQqRxJhwNCgAbLXH

I used HWMonitor or the temps and voltages, but i don't know if this is any help.

Attached Files:

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you are not understanding. You need to post the exact specs. You still have not posted the exact pw supply. Next this is a gigabyte board so go to the support page;
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-UD3P-rev-10#ov
    Download and install easytune [in the utilities section] Once you have easytune installed and you have rebooted, post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a normal load and once while running a stress test ie prime95 or OCCT. Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages.

Note easytune is also an overclocking program. Do not make any changes; just monitor the hardware.

5. Markdbr

Markdbr Thread Starter

My power supply is: sharkoon wpm 600 Bronze 600 watt, RAM is Ballistix 16 gb ddr-1600 kit.

I installed Easytune.

Normal load:
    cpu temp: 32c
    12v: 11.880v
    5v: 5.010v
    3.3v: 3.344v

Stress test using Prime95:
    cpu temp: 87c
    12v: 11.808v
    5v: 4.950v
    3.3v: 3.284v

I hope this is what you meant.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have your answer; 87C is too hot. The system is overheating. While you may have other problems, you need to fix the overheating issue then go from there.
    12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails are a little low however they are holding at the same value while running prime95 so that is probably not the problem however sharktoon pw supplies are junk and I would replace ASAP. That pw supply might be ok to run onboard video however in no way is it capable of running an amd 580.

In short, fix the overheating problem and install a quality pw supply.

7. Markdbr

Markdbr Thread Starter

Thank you for your time. I will look at the heating problem. Do you know a decent power supply for my video card?

It is still weird that when I play a game like battlefield 5 the computer never freezes or something. Only when the pc is playing youtube or just Spotify.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good ie recommended brands; corsair [AX HX, or RM models ONLY] Antec [HCG models ONLY] or Seasonic.

9. Markdbr

Markdbr Thread Starter

I installed a new power supply (Corsair RM650x) and got rid of the dust/new cooling paste. Computer is now around 70 degrees when stress tested.

Somehow it still freezes during idle moments (no activity, only some music from spotify). One time he freezed with a green screen.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

70C should be ok; a little warm however you have a 125W processor and those do get hot when stressed. Start testing other things, ram and hard drive. Use memtest to test the ram http://memtest.org/
    Let memtest run for at least 1hr to see if you get any errors. You have a samsung ssd so if the samsung magician software says it is ok, it probably is fine.

11. Markdbr

Markdbr Thread Starter

I did the memtest and there were no errors. Also installed magician and it said that the ssd was "good". Updated the firmware of the ssd but no progress, still freezing.

Also tried some small things, like unplugged several usb devices.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It may simply be that your motherboard is failing. That board is now 6yrs old. If you want to continue troubleshooting, you are going to have to start swapping parts; ie ram, motherboard, hard drive, etc until you find what is causing the issue.
    FWIW I would not invest money into 6yr old hardware however that is up to you.

If you want to do some more [no cost] troubleshooting, reseat the processor. While you have the processor OFF, clean the socket with some contact cleaner [available at any auto parts store or electrical supply store] Just a few very short bursts into the socket pins and let fully dry. Replace the cooler after you clean the cooler and cpu with 99% alcohol. Apply new thermal compound and install.
    Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors on the motherboard. Inspect both the plug and socket for any burn marks or signs of arcing. Be sure they are fully seated.

The above will cost a few $ for thermal compound and contact cleaner however it is much cheaper than replacing the mb, processor, etc for more advanced troubleshooting.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice