1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes regularly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chemtyra, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chemtyra

chemtyra Thread Starter

I would appreciate any help. I have been troubleshooting my computer off and on for nearly 3 weeks. I am thinking most likely it is a hardware problem.
    The computer will nearly always freeze within 10 minutes of booting up. Sometimes it doesn't even make it into windows. I am fairly computer savvy having built 4-5 computers in the past. I have reinstalled the operating system on several occasions as I have been getting propblems with corrupt system files.

System specs
    ASUS A8N-SLI premium
    AMD FX-55 64 bit processor
    2 chips of Corsair 1gig ram XMS3200 400MHz
    2 500GB WD SATA drives
    EVGA GeForce 7800 GTX 256 MB PCI-E
    PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 1 kW power supply.

I have ran WD full HD diagnostic and it says everything is fine with no errors detected.

I would like any ideas or other diagnostic utilities to run, preferably free.

Thank you

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

3. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

" I have reinstalled the operating system on several occasions as I have been getting propblems with corrupt system files."

Sounds as if your installation cd/dvd might be bad..........................

4. chemtyra

chemtyra Thread Starter

Bad installation is not the problem. I tried twice with disc I bought for the computer. I also have tried installations from 2 other discs. One from a friend, another a disc I had from a previous computer. In between each install, I deleted the partitions and reformatted the drive.

5. markomus

markomus

AFTER you've tried the above memory testing and some of the other suggestions sure to follow mine, try this: This is a bit of a long shot, and I'm probably wrong, but using the extreme caution you've learned through building other computers, do this:

1. Flash the BIOS to the latest update (obtain from a computer outside your house).
    2. Use the newly flashed computer to zero out your hard drives with Kill Disk (not just delete partitions/reformat; again, obtain Kill Disk from outside your house).
    3. Attempt installation.

IF on the off chance I'm correct and you've ruled out the memory and the PSU, then you could have a BIOS virus. If it's a clever one, then it will put copies of itself on your HD even when you remove partitions/reformat. You'll then want to flash the BIOS and zero out. Does that make sense?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/761171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice