1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezes/Screen Pixelated

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dja082000, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dja082000

dja082000 Thread Starter

Seemingly at random my computer will just freeze up and the screen will either be pixelated or be nearly solid white. It's been happening more and more frequently lately, oftentimes within 5 minutes of booting up. Now all of a sudden it's just been happening every hour or two. Needless to say this isn't acceptable hahaha.

I looked at the event viewer to see if there was some error coinciding with the freezes and the only one I could find was:

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

and

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

I'm not sure if this is related as the error doesn't happen at the time of the freeze.

I have an Acer Aspire M1641 - U1521A

It doesn't have anything special and I've had it a few years now. I just don't know if the video card is going or something far more sinister.

Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dja082000

dja082000 Thread Starter

Happened again. I found some error messages in the event viewer, but all they say is:

The previous system shutdown at 2:18:21 AM on 12/16/2011 was unexpected.

There aren't any errors or events close to that time that might be causing the shutdown.

3. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

Did you update video driver lately? try an older version if you did..

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Are you using the graphics direct from the motherboard or do you have a graphics card fitted? If using a card, remove it and plug the monitor into the in built graphics output and see if the problem persists.

This sounds very much like a failing or overheating graphics problem.

5. dja082000

dja082000 Thread Starter

@rosiesdad - I hadn't updated the driver in about a year, started having the problems, updated the drivers hoping to fix it, and am still having the problems.

@Mark1956 - I'm using the integrated graphics that came with the computer out of the store, I believe it's nvidia 7050

6. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

I see its a desktop, have you ever cleaned the dust and cobwebs out.
    Might need a can of compressed air, and a vacuum.
    If you have done this, it may be time to try a different vid card.

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Cleaning is a good idea with a can of compressed air but definately NOT with a vacuum cleaner as they are often highly charged with static electricity which can cause serious damage to some components.

I would suggest a couple of things. Try to borrow a graphics card for the PSI slot and see if the problem persists. Second, run a test on the memory as this can also cause graphics errors as the graphics does use some of the memory. Follow this guide.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice