1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer freezes since dsl installed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by revno9, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. revno9

revno9 Thread Starter

Hi guys. I recently installed DSL on my computer and installed an ethernet card. The hookup seems to be working, but every 10 minutes or so, usually when I click on a link or hit the back button, my screen freezes for a couple minutes. I noticed that when I'm working an online crossword puzzle, the timer on the puzzle continues to run when the rest of my screen freezes. It's a pretty aggravating occurrence. Thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi, and welcome.

What operating system are you running? In device manager, any conflicts or IRQ sharing?

3. revno9

revno9 Thread Starter

Thanks for responding so quickly.
    In the device manager, under Network Adapters, there is an exclamation point beside Existing Ndis2 Driver. I don't seen any mention of IRQ sharing. I am runnning Windows 98 2nd Edition.

4. ~Candy~

Ok, that's probably the problem......does it give you any details as to the problem?

Can you list your IRQs for us?

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok.....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

5. revno9

revno9 Thread Starter

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Intel 82801AB USB Universal Host Controller
    3 CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
    3 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Intel(r) 82810 Graphics Controller 4.12.01.2586
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 MPU-401 Compatible
    11 NETGEAR FA311/FA312 PCI Adapter
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82801AB Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82801AB Bus Master IDE Controller

6. Del

Del

What modem do you have for DSL?
    Do you have an Icon on the desktop you have to click to connect?

7. revno9

revno9 Thread Starter

I have an external westfall dsl modem. There is a desktop icon, but the connection is made on startup. If I click on the verizon online tab on the task bar, it pops up with a connection error, but the connection is still made. Thanks a lot. This has been very frustrating.

8. ~Candy~

Hmmm....IRQs appear to look ok.....not sure if this will matter, but go back to device manager and place a check mark in the box to disable in this hardware profile for that NDIS2 item (if that is an option), then restart the computer.

9. revno9

revno9 Thread Starter

I disabled the hardware that goes with that driver, but the screen still freezes. The driver has a red "x" on it now in the device manager. Do you think the connection port error showing up in the verizon online popup has something to do with it?

10. ~Candy~

Well, you say it's already connected when you get that error message, correct? So you can't connect twice......unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

What's the exact message you get?

11. revno9

revno9 Thread Starter

The error message says something to the effect of, "Error 630 Port connection failed due to hardware not installed properly," or something like that. I'm not at home, so I'll post another reply when I get home and post it verbatim. Thanks.

12. revno9

revno9 Thread Starter

OK..just my luck..the verizon online button on my task bar isn't showing up now, but it says something like what I posted before. There is another error that comes up during start-up. I get a black screen and an error message: "Error 7323: One or more network transport drivers failed to load." Thanks for your patience.

13. revno9

revno9 Thread Starter

The error message from the verizon online task bar is showing again. It says, "Connection Failed: Error630 The port was disconnected due to hardware failure." But I am online and connected. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. Thanks.

14. ~Candy~

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice