1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes then refuses to boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattythebatty, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattythebatty

mattythebatty Thread Starter

Hi
    My computer has recently developed a problem. It boots normally and acts normally at first but after ~5 minutes it freezes. The image on the screen is fixed and the computer is non responsive. The HDD light usually flashes as well.
    The first few times this happened, I restarted the computer and it refused to boot, stopping at the 'detecting IDE drives' section. However, if I turned it off with the power button and turned it back on it would work (until it froze again of course).
    Now, even that doesn't work and I have to wait quite a while till I can turn it back on.

At first I thought this was a hard drive problem as I have been hearing the clicking sound they give towards the end of their life. I replaced my existing hard drive (the one I boot from) and started to install vista onto it but that too froze. I tried unplugging the other hard drive and restored the BIOS to its factory settings but that didn't have any effect. I've dusted my computer so overheating shouldn't be causing it (although I haven't ruled it out).

So does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks

Sorry thought they were in a sig or something:
    Q6600 @ 2.7Ghz
    2GB cheap ram
    8800 GT
    500GB Hard drive with Vista installed
    500GB for media and stuff
    mobo is nvidia 680i
    700W PSU
    I can find out the brands if you need

2. enosoma

enosoma

My first thought is that you should probably give a little basic information about your system.

Operating System
    RAM (memory)
    Hard Drive space
    video card information
    processor information, etc etc

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Overheating sounds possible, especially since it works better after a wait. Try blowing a fan on the components.

Test RAM.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

4. mattythebatty

Thanks, I think the video card might be the problem now - the computer doesn't boot at all and gives 3 beeps - one long and 2 shorter beeps. I'm still fiddling with it though cause I might have knocked it or at least not put the ram back in properly.

5. mattythebatty

Well, I fixed that easily but I had forgotten to mention that for quite a while I have had a warning message at boot saying that the CPU fan speed is too low. I turned this warning message of at the BIOS because when I booted speedfan said that the CPU temperature was fine and the fan speed was ok (although it did seem to be fluctuating but I thought noting of it at the time)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice