1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes, then won't turn on

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ashley1014, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ashley1014

Ashley1014 Thread Starter

My computer freezes and then I have to turn it off. After that, it won't turn back on. When I do get it on, it will sometimes restart itself, go to a blue screen, or get colorful lines on the screen and freeze. It freezes all the time. I've tried doing system restore, and it doesn't do anything. This has been happening for a few weeks. I don't know what else to do. I don't want to pay to get it fixed, but if that's what I have to do I will. Someone please help me.

2. Sponsor

3. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

How long does it take before your computer starts to freeze?
    Can you give a bit of details of your computer specs. i.e. : How old is it? How much RAM do you have?
    Make of computer, etc?

Ray

4. defianted

defianted

this procedure helped my friend's computer.

1. First, unplug the AC cord that's connected to your computer, but leave the battery on.
    2. Turn the computer on, the idea is to drain the battery power.
    2. Once it's drained, take the battery out and turn the computer on then off just to check if there's still some power left.
    3. Put the battery back and plug-in the AC cord and let it charge, don't turn the machine on yet.
    4. Wait for several minutes or until it's charged.
    3. Then Turn the machine on.

if this doesn't fix it then we'll figure something else...

5. Ashley1014

It freezes a few minutes after I turn it on. It doesn't always do it. I don't now how much RAM it has, I looked to find out, and it doesn't say. I have a Dell Windows XP. It was made in 2006. I bought it as a Windows XP Media Center and then last year I got someone to put Windows XP on it because it was messed up.

6. defianted

defianted

• Assuming your cords are all plugged-in properly, so it's not the power.
    • Then must be software running or windows is trying to run a program on the start up and somehow can't load it so it freezes.
    • Maybe if you try loading windows in Safe Mode first just to see if that works and if does
    • Then Re-Start computer and when it prompts you, select ' Load All Drivers ' or Load Windows Normally or something like that ( i forgot ).

Then if it's successful, i recommend you download ' CCleaner ' and run it to delete your cache and other stuff on your hard drive and also ran ' Optimize Registry next - to get rid of registry files no longer needed by windows.

7. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

If after following the advice given from defianted still doesnÂ’t work for you, I have a Question to ask you regarding:

When your friend installed XP for you, did he (she) do a Clean Install meaning: Did he Format your Hard Drive and then installed a Fresh copy of XP?

If the answer is no and that he just installed on Top of your existing system then that is why you are still having problems.

If the answer is Yes, that he did do a Clean install, did he update you to the Latest Service Pack?, which is SP3

Your question regarding on how to find out how much RAM do I have?
    Go to your Control Panel, Double-click on the System Icon and the first page that Pops-up will give you Details about your Operating System and whether it has a Service Pack or not and if yes, it will give you the SP number i.e. SP1,SP2 or SP3.
    Also on that same page, it will give you the details on how much RAM you have.

Good luck.

8. Ashley1014

I have Service Pack 3. When they fixed my computer, they said they would put a copy of Windows XP on my computer. When I got my computer back, there were 3 different Windows installations in the Recycle Bin. I deleted them because I thought I was supposed to. It says I have 2.00 of RAM.

9. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Good that you have SP3 and very good that you have 2GB Rams, more than good enough for XP 32 bit.
    Now the only thing that worries me or should I say Puzzles me is what you said:
    That part I have never came accross before and I just wonder how they did this installation, I will step aside and leave it to the XP experts with this case scenario.

Again, best of luck in finding a solution
    Ray

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978350