Computer freezes up and has to be restarted

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

i_like_salmo

Hello,

The hard disk in my computer has just been replaced (because the old one became corrupted) and windows XP SP2 has been installed on it. The PC specs are something like:

1.4 GHz
512 MB RAM

Anyway, now windows freezes after it has been running for around 10 mins, and has to be restarted. This still occurs despite the amount of applications that are running at the same time. I've updated most of the drivers on the computer all to no success!

Any possible solutions would be extremely welcome! (y)

Thankyou in advance

You could have a look in the Event Viewer for any possible clues.

Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.

Have a look under applications, and let us know if you have any errors that happen at the same time as the freeze.

i_like_salmo

Will do thanks

*** Just looked at it and I think it might be a system error called "acpi" and it has a red cross icon next to it... do you have any idea of what this might be??

i_like_salmo

I read somewhere the acpi is to do with the power management, I've tried to turn it off in the BIOS setup but this causes the computer to freeze at startup, argh! this is so frustrating!!

Does anyone have any other good ideas on preventing the computer from locking up like this? The hardware should be more than sufficient to allow acpi to be enabled! :eek:

Your problem could be caused by a multitude of different things. At the moment I am unsure if it is hardware or software related.

Did the freezes start to happen immediately after you installed XP, or did it start after installing another program ?

You could try setting your BIOS to it's default values. (Usually you can set the defaults by pressing F5 when in the bios screen)

You could also go to your Motherboard manufacturers website and download and install the latest BIOS updates. (Care needs to be taken doing this) read the manufacturers instructions closely.

A handy tool for finding out your Motherboard type, and a heap of other stuff is called Everest Home edition, it is free and can be downloaded here http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Try the above, and if it doesn't work, we can investigate futher.

i_like_salmo

Thanks for all your help. I managed to solve the problem last night, like you said, by downloading the latest motherboard drivers from the VIA website, since I've had no problems. I imagine the cause of the problem was that the old hardware was conflicting with windows XP trying to control the power management.

Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online