1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezes up on login, Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dadada2000, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dadada2000

dadada2000 Thread Starter

Help! I have a P4 2200Mhz desktop, running XP Pro, service pack 1. The computer was running fine last night but when I started it up this morning it comes to the windows login screen where my user name is already in, but when I try to put my password in the cursors freezes and I can’t do anything. Then I have to do a hard restart. I tried starting it in safe mode but the same thing happens.
    Any ideas would be great
    :confused:

2. *PostMaster*

*PostMaster*

This doesn't sound very good. Have you try booting from a XP disk? Or floppy?

3. dadada2000

no not yet, i'll try that next

4. dadada2000

Ok, I don’t know what’s going on with this computer!!.. I tried starting up with the XP cd in and did a repair, this seemed to be going good until the part where I had to enter the serial number in, I tried to type it in but the keyboard would not respond and after pushing any button on the keyboard the mouse would freeze up. Then I have to restart the computer and windows will resume to do the repair but whenever I hit a button on the keyboard the mouse freezes up.
    The keyboard and mouse is connected to the computer by PS/2 port. I tried connecting a USB keyboard but when I restart the computer it does not recognized that there is a keyboard connected and it won’t start up. I even went into the BIOS to make sure the USB keyboard support is on. I don’t know what to do now..

5. *PostMaster*

*PostMaster*

Can you get online? You might have viruses or alot of sypware. Do a google search and type in (Housecall) and do a free online free scan, just make sure you check the auto clean. And then download from Lavasoft (Adware SE).

To find your product Key info the best/program that can do this is (rock Xp) Might want to do this really quick so you can finish but the mouse freezeing up. Do you know how to get into the Device Manager? Right click on my computer and then goto properties and then click the hardware tab ,you will then see the device Manager Option. click on the mouse and remove, uninstall the driver and then do the same for he key board and then reboot. This will load new or the drivers again for you incase they are corrupted somehow but anyhow I would for sure do the viruse and spyware scan and clean all your cashe files up and even do a scandisk and a defragment of the hard drive.
    Who saids owning a PC is a walk in the park lol. It's work.

6. dadada2000

I can't login to the computer..it doesn't respond to the keyboard. the keyboard works fine on other computers... :confused:

7. My4girls

My4girls

I am having the same problem. Did you ever get a resolution? I'd love to hear what you did!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!