Computer freezes up when playing games

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sonik

I have a antec lanboy case, msi k7n2 delta with nforce 2 chipset, all the latest drives, 512mb pc3200 ram, amd athlon xp2400, ati radeon 9600 128mb ram (made by gexcube) , onboard sound 5.1 with the logitech z640. OS is xp with sp1 and all the latest updates. I thought this only occured on half life but it occurs on all games even with my ultimate tournament demo. It runs fine for about 10-15 minutes but if i let it sit it locks up my pc..ctrl+alt+delete wont do anything and i have to reboot..rebooting brings up the screen that shows "no signal", hooking up a new monitor does the same thing..if i let it sit for about 5 minutes then bootup it works fine?? any ideas

sonik

heres is what happened when it crashed this time..difference is this time the game just stopped and it went to my desktop

http://www.fototime.com/{1BACC549-7F4C-44E0-95F2-150D6665A70A}/picture.JPG

copy and paste the link to your browser

If hoocking up a new monitor (other than the one you use) does the same thing, then mabye it's your graphics card? Are the drivers for it updated? Because that's the only thing I can think of.

sonik

thats what i thought at first but its brand new?? im gonna reinstall xp and all my drivers and see if it works

Check to make sure your power supply and case aren't overheating. Make sure the fans are working correctly, and that your power supply has enough to power the whole system (I would say at least 400w for your system).

sonik

its an antec 350w..i have pc alert installed on the machine and my computer shows 37 Celcius so i dont think its overheating..im going to swap out my ram and see if that makes a diff.

It just occured to me, have you ever overclocked your CPU, RAM or Graphics card? If so, this is the definate source of the problem.

sonik

i have not overclocked the system.........yet.......I replaced the ram though and now it works?

Must have had a faulty stick of RAM then.....did you return it, or just buy another one?

sonik

i used a pc2700 dimm i had in another machine for now and waiting on my new pc3200 replacement

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online