1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freeze's Up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wideejay, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wideejay

wideejay Thread Starter

My computer started acting up about a week ago. When I try to download files (like the upgrade to MyDVD) it will get up to 99% of the file in and then just totally freeze's up. I have to use the power button on the front of the machine to shut it down. The mouse still moves but I cannot press "Start" or get any other buttons to work. I downloaded HijackThis (that came in OK) with the intention of sending the log along with this thread but it freeze's up when I try to extract the files. I have windows XP pro on the machine. I am at a total loss on what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

2. draceplace

draceplace

Can you get to task manager and see if there is a process hogging memory/cpu?

3. wideejay

wideejay Thread Starter

Yes I did access the task manger. Most of the processes are at "0" however one of them "System Idle Process" shows varying numbers from 65 to 99. Is that normal?

4. wideejay

wideejay Thread Starter

Good grief - did everyone give up on me? I sure would appreciate help from someone.
    Thanks

5. draceplace

draceplace

Systen Idle should stay at 99 unless something is going on. In the process tab click on the CPU column until Sys Idle is sorted to the top. when It drops to 65 or whatever note what process jumps up there. End that process and see if that stops the symptom. I virus may start the process back up. Also make sure there is room on your hard drive for the file you are trying to down load.

6. draceplace

draceplace

If you google "MyDVD problem" and read some of the forum postings there seems to be a lot of issues with this product. I would uninstall and see if I still have freeze up issues.

7. wideejay

wideejay Thread Starter

Boy, when I screw up I do a radical screw up! I originally said MyDVD but in reality it is AnyDVD that I am dealing with. Also, when I try to run an anti-virus check with EZ Anti-Virus, my computer locks up. When I download just about any type of program (for instance AnyDVD or Roboform updates) it locks up however if I download music (legally), it does not. Would I just be better off reformatting my C drive and re-installing XP?
    This is driving my crazy!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice