1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes when plugging in headphones...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zyngawf, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zyngawf

Zyngawf Thread Starter

Like the title says, my PC freezes when I plug in headphones and sometimes front panel USB devices. I had this problem previously on my old PC build but have upgraded my motherboard, CPU, GPU, case, and power supply since then (basically a new computer) only to have the same problem still... I have rebuilt the computer twice and checked all wires and motherboard to make sure nothing is grounding out. I have also tried different wall outlets in my house to eliminate the possibility of electrical problems from the outlet I was using. Not only am I not able to use my front panel connections, but also my comp runs very choppy after it freezes from plugging in devices and I am forced to restart my comp several times to get it working correctly again. I am in desperate need of some advice, please help me :(

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Z:
    Please:
    run this forum's sys info utility; paste the results in a reply at this thread
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Power supply brand, model, model #. Output W; peak & highest continuous if you know.
    Product support page from the PS manufacturer would be great. Same for your motherboard &, if applicable, sound card.

Do you have external speakers connected when you connect your USB headset? If so, save your work, shutdown; disconnect speakers, startup in normal mode; create a system restore point, test.

Have you had any BSODs or spontaneous reboots?

edit:
    Please provide the headphone's brand, model & model #. Same for any other USB [ mouse, keyboard, speakers, ISP modem / router, for example ] , 1394 or external SATA ports; video ports, too.
    :)

What changed? A hardware or software install or removal; update to W7 [ check the update history ], a program [ anti malware or other ]?

At what point during the re-install did the problems begin?

In which order did you install drivers?

Is anything overclocked?

Which diags have you run?
    HDD
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

RAM
    Memtest86+
    instead of W7's diag
    http://www.carrona.org/mem.html

and Prime95 mem stress
    http://www.carrona.org/prime95.html

CPU / GPU
    www.ocbase.com

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Z:
    Check Device Manager for any bang [ red or yellow marked items ]. Provide the details of any bang.

RF123

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try other headphones and try the phones on some other device, too.

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

2 (y)

;)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yeh, except that it looks like more than just headphones.

You may want to disconnect absolutely every piece of hardware that you can and still be able to boot up. See if the problem is gone, and then add each piece back, one at a time between boots and checks, to see if that narrows it down.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hope for the best.

Prepare for the worst.
    Data backup is our friend.
    ;)

RF123

8. Zyngawf

Zyngawf Thread Starter

Here is the system info.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 8162 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 406367 MB;
    Motherboard: ASRock, 990FX Extreme4
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I do have external speakers that I am using But I have yet to see if they may be the issue.

I'm not getting any BSOD or reboots and everything runs great until I plug stuff in to the front panel connectors. The only thing I am seeing that is unusual is my Motherboard is showing error code a6 on startup which says SCSI detect in the manual? Not sure what that means though.

It will freeze no matter what kind of headphones I try so It's not a specific pair I am using. Other devices I have plugged in
    are a Razer Deathadder USB mouse, Generic USB keyboard, and a USB network adapter. I have never had any problems with these devices however.

My power supply is a Thermaltake SP-750m (750watt) and is brand new.

I am overclocked to 4.6ghz but it runs stable when tested with Prime95 or any other stress testing utilities.

Like I said, I have formatted the HD and reinstalled windows fresh along with updating all drivers. Same problem after all that work.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

What happens if you use a connection on the back or side of the computer?

If no problem occurs, the cause is either the connection running from the ports on the front, or the chipset on the ASRock.

Did you build this computer?

For grins, set it to normal clocking & test.

What happens if you boot to "last known good config"?

What happens if you boot to "safe mode"?

run dxdiag
    Any problems noted on the sound tab / tabs?
    dxdiag doesn't test the hardware. It only checks drivers. :)

RF123

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice