1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes when returning from Hibernation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by myvicisslow, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. myvicisslow

myvicisslow Thread Starter

Hi helpful people. Last night I tried to hibernate for the first time and, well, it didn't work. I'm on Windows XP Pro and my Power Management tells me that this computer can hibernate and that I need 512mb to do so. I have over 3gigs of space on my H/D so I know that's not the problem. The problem occurs when I return from the hibernated state. After bootup it goes to the black screen where you see the progress bar "Resuming Windows". When the bar goes all the way to the end my computer just freezes. I couldn't do cntrl+alt+del so I had to press the reset button, which I hate doing. Then when it booted up again to a screen with two options (I forgot exactly what it said). Something about deleting the last restoration and booting normally, the other choice I don't remember. I chose the first one and Windows XP booted as usual. So my question is, why isn't my computer returning from hibernation?

2. myvicisslow

oh yeah i've checked support.microsoft.com but it didn't have solutions to my problem. i also did a search on this forum but didn't find anything either. and thanx in advance. =)

3. myvicisslow

4. myvicisslow

bump bump bump

5. PlatinumDrag

PlatinumDrag

As any tech will tell you, don't use hibernation use low power settings if you do not wish to turn your comp off.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, IMO hibernation is a joke. You'd be MUCH better off just turning it off and rebooting it when you want to use it again.

7. myvicisslow

ok I will then heed your advice. i was just reading pc world the other day and decided to try it out.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All I could see that it did was waste 512mb of memory for the hibernation file. :D

9. dcramer

dcramer

Yeah its better just to let your computer sit there running instead of hibernating because you will run into problems with that. You should just disable it so you can save some disk space also

DC Computer Services
    Link removed, please see forum rules regarding links.
    [/url]http://www.dccomputerservices.com/Forum/
    Get Professional Help With Your Computer Problems

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice