1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes when switching between users

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Orurt, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Orurt

Orurt Thread Starter

Motherboard Asus P5GC 1945GC MATX
    BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 0401
    CPU Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20 GHz
    Memory 2 GB PC-6400
    Video Card DIAMOND HD2400PRO PCIE GDDR
    Sound Card Creative SB Audigy
    Ethernet D-Link DFG-538TX 10/100 adapter
    Internal HD 1 Terabyte SATA
    Removable HD 500 GIG IDE

Windows XP Pro SP2

With the exception of the removable 500 GIG hard drive, sound card and Ethernet card all the hardware is new.

The computer had been running slow. So, when I installed my new 1 tb drive, I reinstalled XP and all my software from scratch. Only data was restored from my system backup.

The title really says it all. I had been having problems with my USB mouse. To fix this I have uninstalled the mouse driver and let it reinstall itself at the next boot-up. So far so good. Time will tell whether this has actually worked. However, my previous problem with the computer freezing up while switching user still persists. The freeze usually happens while switching from a user account to the welcome screen.

the only other significant thing I can think of is what when I installed XP on my new HD. As soon as I went to open Internet Explorer, and before anything else was installed or restored, I received the customary message that explorer had encountered a problem and had to shut down!

So, I really don't know what to do next. Thanks for any ideas.

2. Jason08

Jason08

Do you have Use Fast Switching enabled in control panel?

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

Are you choosing "switch user" or actuallly logging off and then logging in with a new user?
    "Switch User" is primarily for those times when another user says "can I borrow your computer for a second to check something." It leaves all your tasks running so you can let them log in, check what they need and then log out. This is much more memory intensive as all of the first users programs continue to run in addition to the new users tasks.

My suggestion would be to try actually logging out and then back in and see if that helps.

EDIT:
    Switch user info from Microsoft at the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

4. Orurt

Orurt Thread Starter

Thank you.

It happened most often when I was switching user. However, it does happen intermittently when I log into an account. It usually goes to the login screen without any problem.

However, since then everything went from bad to worse. Eventually, I took the computer to a tech for diagnosis and found that the hard drive is defective. Since then, I have I have installed WinXP and my software on a different disk and, at this stage I am not far enough ahead to really answer your question. Unfortunately, worse has gone to even worse and I find that I can't access any site to download files such as XP updates including SP3. When I attempt to open any page that is for technical support, the same thing happens. As well, the other computer on my home network is now in the same state so I can't use it to download either. I did a little googling and it seems that this "Browser Hijack" or "redirect". I am not getting very far with this either and will create a new post for help with that issue.

I have strong suspicions that the HP h2408w driver is at the root of all the freezing. Because, it does not happen when I have my old 15" Samsung Syncmaster attached. But, with things being in turmoil, I have not tried the computer with the big 24" screen which comes with pivot software along with it's driver.

5. Jason08

Jason08

If you're getting redirected on a Google search, you may be infected with malware. I would suggest cllicking the report button and request for the thread to be moved to to the malware and HijackThis subforum so a malware expert can look at the situation.
    Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice