Computer freezes when writing into the secondary hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jhsa

Hi, I got two 40Gb hard drives on my system (C and E). I had a problem with drive E which is the secondary drive. The error was: "The file or directory E:\ is corrupt and unreadable". I managed to recover all the data from the drive and then formatted it. But now when i try to copy some data from the drive C into it, the computer freezes for a little while every 1 second more or less as data is being transferred. Any idea?
Thank you in advance for your help.
jhsa

Instead of just formatting it, move your data off from the drive and then remove the partitions, create new one(s), and reformat it (preferably NTFS full format).

Right-click Computer, choose manage, and then Disk Management. The options for your drives and partitions are available through their right-click menus, including partitioning, formatting, and changing drive letters. Not all options may be available on all partitions.

Also check your IDE cables are plugged in correctly and are a nice snug fit.

jhsa

thank you guys. i've just used hard disk sentinel on that drive and compared the transfer rates between drive C and E (being tested). the maximum transfer rate on C is more or less the double than the one with the problem. C = 36662 Kb/s and E = 16264 Kb/s. Also the sentinel reports that the drive is 100% but displays the folowing message:

" Problems occured between the communication of the disk and the host. In case of a sudden crash or reboot it is recommended to try a different, short data cable (avoid round cables, use 80 wire standard cables instead).

No actions needed. "

Okay - and do you have 80 core cables? That will make a difference to the data transfer rates.

jhsa

Thanks for you help Kev. I'm not experienced at all with computers yet. Don't know if this is a stupid question but how do i see the difference between the 80 core cable and other cables?
jhsa

If the cable is correct, I would replace the drive or at very least run check disk on it.
From My Computer, right click the drive, and choose properties, tools, error checking and then settings and check both boxes.... That is scary that a non booting drive would run at 1/2 the speed of a boot drive.
How about checking to see if Dma is listed in Control panel, System, Hardware,Device Manager, ide/atapi Controllers for the second hard drive instead of pio mode.

jhsa

thanks once again guys... DMA is on for this drive. i'm going to fidle with the cables in a while and then i'll post the results. thanks again. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online