1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes while loading into Windows 98...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Aurien, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurien

Aurien Thread Starter

On start up it gets to the Windows 98 screen and after about 10 secs the bar freezes up and stays that way indefinately. If I reboot in Safe mode everything loads up fine, but no matter what I seem to change I cant get it to boot in Normal mode. The biggest problem I have is that in Safe mode it isn't registering my dvd drives either so I cant do a fresh install to fix things. I know this isn't really much to go on, but I hope someone can help me out.

Edit: It also occasionally reboots at the same point... and (I dont know if this happens for everyone...) the point is just after the Windows 98 loading screen flickers once.... which I used to notice right before it continued into windows.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi in safe mode not all drivers load up.
    Try f 8 choose command prompt..type scanreg /restore [note space]
    Choose date prior to problem..not the oldest.
    If no joy..try scanreg /fix.

3. Aurien

Aurien Thread Starter

Thanks - that did the trick ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice