1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezes While Playing Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by 3astCoaster, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3astCoaster

3astCoaster Thread Starter

Hey this is my first post, however this isn't a new problem concerning my computer.

It has become an annoying a frequent occurance on my computer. The problem is that whenever I play a game it will just freeze on screen *game picture will remain* and of course I will have to manually restart the computer. I have looked all over for a solution to this problem, in vain. I have run "dxdiag" "msconfig" in the Run menu, and i've tweaked with that every which way, and nothing has seemed to solve the problem. This has not always been an issue with my computer. When I first got my computer all games ran fine, without freezing. I have recently got my computer fixed, and restored, and I had them put in 256 MB Ram, along with my previous 256. However to my dismay when I started to play games the freezing continued.

The games I play are:
    Battlefield: Vietnam
    Counter Strike
    Day of Defeat
    Call Of Duty
    Max Payne 2
    Iron Storm
    Soldier Of Fortune 2 *Demo, which was the first game to freeze*

I really have no idea what is wrong with my computer, and I love playing on-line games, so if anyone can suggest anything, it would be really appretiated!

P.S....I have also tryed a cleanboot of the system to get rid of all back- running programs, and it still continued to freeze.

2. McTimson

McTimson

In another post, you said that putting a fan in fixed your problem...if that worked, please respond here with what you did, just to clarify.

3. 3astCoaster

Hey, it's me 3astCoaster

My problem as of today seems to have stopped. The solution so far has been overheating, so I will continue to run games with the PC open and a house fan on it.

P.S sorry for not keeping my problem up to date, cause I was watching the Detroit game. :cool:

>>Peace<<
    :)

4. Solid_Froggy

Solid_Froggy

Lol, Detroit, eh? That is what I was about to say, overheating! Dang it, you took it right from my mouth!

5. 3astCoaster

Detroit is my favourite team, but after tonights performance I dunno how much longer they will be, near the end I was routing for Nashville, lol...
    The reason why they are my favourite is based on when they had Hasek.

P.S I know that he may come back next season...here's to hoping, lol

Peace :cool:

6. Derrick

Derrick

If you have to run the computer with the side off and a house fan on it, that ain't right! You must have a lack of case fans in it,or the heatsink and fan are not doing there job. checkto see if the heatsink has a good thermal compound on it and the heatsink itself is seated properly.

7. 3astCoaster

Everything appears to be in ship-shape, I think perhaps it is the actual fan on the video card which is not doing its job. And since it is an older card, maybe ita has just stopped working at 100% capability, and the fact that I overstress it by playing newer games at reasonable graphic levels. I am in the market for a new card from Nvidia, but it may have to wait a little while, and until I do purchase a new one, the open-case style of play does not seem to be far fetched, lol...And I may also purchase a new fan for the PC, a larger fan which should add some extra stability to the PC.

Thanks for the tip :D

Peace all
    << :cool: >>

8. Derrick

Derrick

right on (y)

9. Meany

Meany

Ok, I have the same problem as 3astcoaster here, but I have a gateway and can't remove the case without the stupid warranty be removed. Since I don't really want the warranty being removed.

Can someone please tell me a different way to get that fixed?

10. McTimson

McTimson

Send it back to Gateway and tell them to open it and put more fans in it....

You could get a thing of compressed air and try to spray some dust out, I guess..

11. Meany

Meany

I was hoping I didn't have to send it back. Last time they kept it for a month then told us we had to get a new one. Well, thanks anyway I'll try some of that compressed air later and see if that helps...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice