1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer freezes - will not start in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by packer backer, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. packer backer

packer backer Thread Starter

I have a Great Quality ZX-3310 laptop. It recently froze up and would not reboot. I unplugged the machine and plugged it back in to restart and now I get either the windows start up page that freezez before it is loaded or I get this message: "RS482M- Test Bios BR#13207A". Sometimes I get nothing on the screen but I can hear the fan run. It will not let me start in Safe Mode. The DVD drive recognizes a DVD it there but it immediately freezes on start up.

What are the possible problems/solutions? Thank you.

2. zabusant

zabusant

Well, the error mentiones BIOS, so it could be a problem with it.
    The possible solution would be to flush the BIOS, do you have a USB Floppy Drive?:)

BTW, you should check if it's plugged in properly:)

3. zabusant

zabusant

4. packer backer

Zabusant,
    Thanks for your reply. I do not have a USB floppy drive and I do not know how to flush the BIOS. Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

I have read a couple of postings about this problem being caused by the CMOS battery or CMOS switch as possible culprits but I can't find the battery or the "switch". I do not know if these are valid diagnosis for the problem. Thanks again for your assistance.

5. zabusant

zabusant

Is the laptop under warranty? If so, you should let the pros take care of it:)

6. packer backer

No, unfortunately it is not. But thanks.

7. zabusant

zabusant

Unfortunatelly resetting BIOS/CMOS by messing with the battery will require openning up the laptop - I advise against doing it yourself, laptops are tricky. I think you'll have to spend some bucks on this one if you want to get it runing again this way:)

What you could do is try to access the BIOS/CMOS setup (usually holding delete or F2 after restart) and look for a "restore to default" or "load default" setting.

8. vicks

vicks

I suspicion that your Cmos battery is going bad.....My daughter has an older laptop that would not boot and just kept giving a error, when I googled the error number it was the battery. My son-in-law took the back off and went to Walmart and bot a new battery for it.
    I went to the site for the mfg of her computer and got the schematic for it for them.
    Worked just great ever since. If you have ANY qualms about opening the case, take it to your local computer shop and let them do it for you.
    vicks

9. d4223r

d4223r

i sent it to the tech guys and they told me that t needs a new motherboard which wud cost £170,

iv decided just to get a new laptop as its not worth all the money iv paid already

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice