Computer freezes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

keebs

SPECS-
Windows XP PRO
AMD Athlon 3200+
512 MB
20GB HD
My computer just started freezing out of no where, everytime i boot windows it stays stable for 2 minutes and it freezes so i formated my computer and the same thing happens any suggestions on why?

Depending on how long you've had your pc i'd say it sounds like your system is over heating.
This happens alot when the heat conductive paste (thermal compound) between the cpu and heatsink dries up, or if you've recently moved the pc and might have taken a knock and dislodged your heatsink.
Here's a good way to check:
1. Go to your BIOS and check what your system temp is running at (anything over 60 degrees Centigrade is potentially harmful to your cpu...), if this is the case I'd go my local pc store (or ebay) and get some new thermal compound (bare in mind you do get what you pay for, but you shouldn't need to spend more than £5-7 on some).

Matt.

p.s. there are some decent "in OS" softwares that allow you to see your system temp, i'd go with Mother Board Monitor (MBM), but if your system is unstable then checking in the BIOS to begin with is a good idea.

keebs

thanks for the replys everyone, well i recently purchased the fan and cpu about 2 months ago but i never put thermal paste on because someone had told me that the pad on the fan is enough but i guess he was wrong (n) tomorrow im going to purchase some thermal paste if that dosent work do you think it could possibly be the memory?

Not saying that those pads are wrong, but i always trust thermal paste more... Be careful not to put too much on tho...
Memory is a possible answer, but if you have checked in the BIOS for the system temperature?

Matt.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online