1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RPT, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

Let me apologize in advance if I have posted this in the wrong forum, and if I am providing insufficient information. However, I am at my wit's ends! For a while now my computer seems to inexplicably freeze for no good reason, and I'm beginning to think it may be a video card or video driver problem. Here's what I've noticed:
    - The problem doesn't seem to occur when I'm in safe mode
    - It seems to happen most often when I'm actively online (i.e. - downloading or on the net)
    - The computer is totally unresponsive (including Ctl+Alt+Del), but the mouse still moves around, the animation on the mouse is active, and the NUM LOCK key on the keyboard works.

I have reinstalled Windows XP Pro a couple of times, but the problem persists. I have an ATI Saphire (RADEON) X300SE video card, an AMD Athlon 64 bit 3000+ (1.8 GH) CPU and 1 Gig of DDR Ram.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks!

2. sickcars

sickcars

When you reinstall do you use the same drivers off a CD that you have? Or do you download the latest drivers off the Internet (from manufacture website?)

If you don't download them and use a disc thats something I would try. Download the latest drivers for your Videocard/Motherboard/Sound Card etc It may fix the problem.

Ciao

3. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that & report back. I seem to recall that there's a site that will automatically check all of your drivers for you & let you know if there are updates available. Does that sound familiar?

Thanks again for the quick reply!!

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think you need to find out what the brand of hard drive is and then download their utility from mfgr website as this sounds like a dying hard drive to me.

5. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

I have 2 WD 250 Gig SATA Hard Drives (one of which contains the operating system), and a 60 Gig Maxtor IDE Hard Drive. All check out fine using the WD diagnostic software. I also have HDDlife, and all three hard drives get a clean bill of health from that program as well.

6. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

.On Wednesday nite I got fed up and completly reinstalled windows, all of the peripherals, key software, windows updates, etc. I made sure I installed the latest drivers. Four hour later ...
    - I started running into a brand new problem. Windows doesn't freeze, but some programs just won't run
    - e.g. - NERO is properly installed, but it I try to start it (either by clicking on the icon or through the "run" command), and nothing happens.
    - e.g. - when I try to run add/remove, it tells me to "please wait while the list is being populated", but it never gets there
    - e.g. - when I reinstalled Office 2003 from my install disk, there was a looonnnggg period of time between my clicking on the "install" button and the installation process actually beginning.
    - e.g. - when I tried to shut it off, it simply refused to respond. I ended up diconecting the power supply to shut it off.

This is all since I reinstalled Windows Wednedsay Nite! Who knows what new horrors await. There was no chance to clog up the registry, infect the computer, etc. Once again, everything seems to work just fine in my old friend, SAFE MODE.

I really believe I'm dealing with a video card problem, and I don't know if the card is nackered or whether it's just overheating. I was having a problem with the HD's overheating, so a while ago I installed a number of fans. A couple of Hard Disk analysis utilities I run indicate thay are fine, but I ran SpeedFan this morning, and it indicated that something was overheating (I'm not sure what). If the Video card is overheating, I don't think I have any room to install any more fans! My power supply is a 550W, so I assume that's not it.

Can anyone offer any advice, or do I have to go back to my nintendo, typewriter and abacus?

Thanks!!!

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like dying hard drive to me....utilities seldom are accurate.

8. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

Would there be a reliable way of testing whether it is the Hard Drive?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

I'm afraid not without trying another one, as I said the mfgr utilities really don't help that much.
    You should run Memtest though as ram problems often appear like software:
    www.memtest.org

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice