1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Belfour20, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Belfour20

Belfour20 Thread Starter

Whenever I turn my computer on, at different points during startup my computer just freezes. So it has become unusable. What happened was that it used to freeze sometimes while watching a video or playing a game, but this was very rare. But then it progressively got worse and it started freezing more and more during watching videos, and eventually it started freezing even when I wasn't watching a video. And now its gotten far worse, that I can't even use the computer because it freezes during startup. Also, I tried to disable the video card and see if that was the problem but it continued to freeze.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I know that it can be many things, but I have been told that it's most likely a hard drive issue. But before I go out and buy a new hard drive, I just want to know if that is what the most likely problem could be.

Thanks.

2. Muffy7

Muffy7

First, can you tell us the specs of your system?

I have a couple ideas in mind for you to test your hard drive to see if it is, indeed, corrupted or not.

3. Belfour20

Belfour20 Thread Starter

Oh, I can't really remember very well but, I have an Asus motherboard, XP Professional with SP2. Pentium 4, and it was an Maxtor 6E040L0, 40 GB hard drive. I have 512 RAM and my vid. card is ATI Radeon 9100.

4. Muffy7

Muffy7

Ok.

Are you aware of Linux Live CD's?

Hopefully you are, because I, personally, think they are the best way to see if it is only WINDOWS messing up. It can help you to check all of your hardware and make sure it is all working.
    (make sure you're on a computer with a cd-burner... and that you have at least one blank cd-r) (you also have to have an ISO burning software... which you can get here http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/burniso)
    AFTER THAT
    go to this website http://www.slax.org/download.php

and download.
    Burn the iso file to disc... and now take it to your computer that is malfunctioning. Put the disc in and restart. Enter BIOS and select CD-ROM as first boot device. Restart Again, Let Slax load up... and if it works then your computer is fine! It just means you have a problem with windows. If Slax fails to start up.. let us know.

Hopefully that wasn't too much to put on you right now.

5. Belfour20

Belfour20 Thread Starter

No, not too much, thanks. I'm downloading it right now, i'll let you know what happens after i burn it.

6. Muffy7

Muffy7

ok, i'll be waiting.

7. Belfour20

Belfour20 Thread Starter

Hey, lol, yea slax is working perfectly, I'm actually using that.
    So I guess the problem is with Windows. If I have to format it, can I still save some of my files?

8. Muffy7

Muffy7

If slax works perfectly then it is, indeed, windows. You'll have to reformat and reinstall a new copy of Windows...

To save your files.. you could always buy a new hard drive and use the one that you have now as a back up. Or... you can burn data discs with Slax and then have them as backup cds or dvds...

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

That is not necessarily so as XP stresses a system alot more than Linux...can I suggest we first download and run memtest to check the ram? It installs to a floppy disk and you then boot to it and run at least 4 complete tests which can take several hours.
    www.memtest.org

10. Belfour20

Belfour20 Thread Starter

Yea, you're probably right. I think the problem is not with just Windows. I've been using Slax the whole day and I've watched many videos and listened to many songs. But my computer froze twice today. Once when I was using Kopete Messenger and another time when I was listening to an audio file.

11. Belfour20

Belfour20 Thread Starter

Ok, so I just left my computer on all night and it did not freeze with slax.

12. Muffy7

Muffy7

Did you try the MemTest???

Make sure and try that.

13. Belfour20

Belfour20 Thread Starter

Im reformatting my computer right now. I'll have to go out later to get a CD-R or floppy so I can burn and run the mem test on it.

So, at this point, what can be the causes of my system freezing...hard drive, bad RAM?

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

#1 cause is corrupted or incompatible ram, high temps or bad hard drive and probably in that order. You could install Speedfan and watch temps and fan speeds that way.
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

15. Belfour20

Belfour20 Thread Starter

But I remember I used to have an overheating problem and when that happened the computer would restart instead of freeze...if it was high temp., wouldn't it just shut down and restart again?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!