1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezing after an hour of use

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PeachCheetah, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PeachCheetah

PeachCheetah Thread Starter

So in the past week, my computer has started freezing. After about an hour of use, the screen will freeze. Sound will still play for a while and the mouse still moves. But other than that, it completely freezes.

Ctl+alt+del doesn't do anything and I have to manually shut it down.

Sometimes if it sits for a while and I don't mess with anything it will black screen and tell me to insert bootable media.

My computer is only about a year old and I put it together myself. I have an
    64 GB SSD with Windows 7
    intel i5 2500k 3.3ghz CPU
    8 GB of RAM
    EVGA GTX 570

My graphics drivers are up to date.
    My registry seems in order.
    I have no virus' showing up under my scans.
    My PSU doesn't seem to be overheating.
    Memory test in my BIOS shows fine
    My case has plenty of airflow
    HD tune pro doesn't show any bad sectors
    And I've cleaned up with CCleaner

I don't know what else to test to see if that's the problem so if anyone can help me out that'd be great. It's really annoying to be in the middle of something and have it just freeze. If you need more info, just ask and I can provide it. Thanks in advance.

PeachCheetah

2. mel8again

mel8again

64 gig SSD in not very big. Maybe it's getting to close to full. Use disk management or windows explorer to see how much is left. I have a 128 gig SSD with just Windows 7, updates and programs that will not let me install elseware. Out of the 128 I have 56 left.

3. PeachCheetah

PeachCheetah Thread Starter

I've cleared out enough space to where this shouldn't happen. Like I said it started a week ago and before that when it got to less than 5 GB of free space it never did this to me before.

4. tsangan

tsangan

PeachCheetah: I am having the exact same problem, normally I leave my computer running when i go out one night last week I came back and my computer was frozen, after that after about an hour of up time the computer will now just freeze, I can still move my mouse but whatever action i do nothing happens, give it a few mins then it completely crashes.

I have done the same stuff you have done and yet its showing no problems, I am so confused as to whats going on :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice