Computer freezing after installing new Mobo/cpu

Jakearizona

I'm sure it's going to be a simple solution. I recently upgraded my pc to an i7-9700kf because I have a friend that works at intel who helped me get one cheap. After upgrading my motherboard to a msi-z390a pro and putting the CPU in, i experienced total freezing of my computer when i played games for longer than 10 minutes. I understand that it may be the cpu that has this problem and its why it was discounted, but my friend said in the profile he looked at it should be working fine.

Originally I thought it was a cooling problem because I bought a prebuilt with a crappy AIO cooler that worked fine for my i5-6600 so i upgraded to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Air Cooler because my friend recommended it to me, and the temps haven't gone above 80 except for during startup. But I still got crashes where my screen would freeze, audio stops abruptly, and I couldn't do anything other than force shutdown with the power button. its not easy to reproduce. I've run apex legends, league, crucible, and valorant fine, then the next day I can't play 2 games before crashing, restarting, and the play another 3 hours no problem. Before I updated my cooler i tested valorant and I crashed on the first round. I've even had some streams open on a second monitor during those games and its been fine.

The most recent crash I actually had NZXT CAM open and it showed the cpu temp at 70c when it crashed, I had minecraft dungeons, discord, and a chrome tab open. Background programs like steam/origin might have been open, but I tend to close them if i'm not using a game from them. This has led me to believe its not an overheating problem because id be surprised if the temperature jumped that quickly. Any help on narrowing this issue would be great. I know that there is not a lot of information.

Computer info

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO LGA1151

Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 Video Card

CPU: Intel i7-9700kf

Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)

Windows reliability also doesn't show it crashing just when i force shutdown and it timestamps the problem when the computer restarts but it also never blue screens so maybe it can't catch it. Ive been looking into the reliability history and found that "gameinput redistributable" reconfigures every time I force shut off my PC, but it also shows it performing this action without me crashing occasionally. In event viewer I have a kernel power error showing up that has error codes of 0 for the important bits, I can't remember off the top of my head.

First thing to do is to update your drivers. Go to control panel > device manager > display adapter. Right click and choose Update.

Jakearizona

First thing to do is to update your drivers. Go to control panel > device manager > display adapter. Right click and choose Update.
Trust me, done and done. I've pretty much 100% removed software as a problem. Gone into the bios made sure everything was working and set up correctly. The big thing is the problem was really bad before I changed CPU cooler, and after almost non existent but it's been crawling it's way back.

crjdriver

Did you install a new motherboard/processor and attempt to use the existing windows install that was on your hard drive? If that is the case, it almost always fails. There is a procedure to follow IF you want to use an existing windows install however it starts with the old motherboard still installed. At this point, I would simply clean install windows then install drivers, etc from the support page for your board.

Next issue, your memory requires 1.35V and your board should default to 1.2V. Have you set the correct vdimm or ram voltage in the bios? With an intel chipset motherboard, XMP works fine to set ram speed, timings, and voltage.

Your friend is correct; the coolermaster 212 type coolers are about the best bang for the buck you will find. They are not the easiest things to install correctly however the performance is excellent.

Jakearizona

Did you install a new motherboard/processor and attempt to use the existing windows install that was on your hard drive? If that is the case, it almost always fails. There is a procedure to follow IF you want to use an existing windows install however it starts with the old motherboard still installed. At this point, I would simply clean install windows then install drivers, etc from the support page for your board.

Next issue, your memory requires 1.35V and your board should default to 1.2V. Have you set the correct vdimm or ram voltage in the bios? With an intel chipset motherboard, XMP works fine to set ram speed, timings, and voltage.

Your friend is correct; the coolermaster 212 type coolers are about the best bang for the buck you will find. They are not the easiest things to install correctly however the performance is excellent.
Oh didn't know about the windows install. Wouldn't that cause blue screen issues though over a straight up freeze? Also it seems weird that normal use would be fine, like for multiple days in a row, and then eventually become a crash every other day during a game if it was a windows problem. I've enabled XMP so that should be fine. It actually wasn't originally but enabling it had no impact on the problem.

crjdriver

A problem windows install [which you have since you did not follow the outlined procedure] can cause all types of problems.
Up to you however IF it were me, I would start troubleshooting the problem with a clean install. Note clean install means just that; you boot with the install usb and delete ALL partitions on the drive then install windows, drivers, updates, etc.

I would monitor temps and voltages [specifically cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values] using the motherboard mfg's monitoring software. I never use msi boards however I think there is monitoring software available for download from the support page.

Jakearizona

A problem windows install [which you have since you did not follow the outlined procedure] can cause all types of problems.
Up to you however IF it were me, I would start troubleshooting the problem with a clean install. Note clean install means just that; you boot with the install usb and delete ALL partitions on the drive then install windows, drivers, updates, etc.

I would monitor temps and voltages [specifically cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values] using the motherboard mfg's monitoring software. I never use msi boards however I think there is monitoring software available for download from the support page.
I've started using open handware manager and was using nzxt CAM before. CPU temps haven't gone above 85 unless it was startup after a force shutdown. Like I said in my post one crash showed the CPU temps at 70c when it froze. I'll try the windows install, but it was originally a prebuilt computer so I don't have a windows install with me. Is there a way to download online and put on a USB?

crjdriver

Yes however it must be activated. When you have an OEM type windows lic ie what comes on a dell, hp, whatever, it is valid with the original hardware. You change the motherboard and you need a new windows lic.

If you had a retail version of windows, you can install that as many times as you want as long as it is installed on only one system at a time.
To make a windows install usb, use the media creation tool from MS;
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Prior to doing any install, go to the support page and download all of the drivers you will need ie chipset, lan, sound, etc, etc. Put these on a flash drive, external, etc. Have ONLY the system drive connected to the system when you do the install. If you have other drives, pull the pw connectors from them. Once the install is complete, you can shutdown and reconnect the drives.

If you want accurate measurement of temps and voltages, you use the motherboard mfg's purpose designed software. Only use a third party when there is no software available.

crjdriver

BTW you are not attempting to reuse a dell, hp, etc type case are you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online