Computer freezing after start up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lexxingtun

So I have been fighting this losing battle for about a month now. Every forum or webpage ive read hasn't fully solved my problem.
My computer worked fine before and suddenly, one day it wouldnt even turn on. I would press the power button and...nothing. Fet up with it, I left it alone and didnt try again for a few days. It suddenly worked that time but soon after it started freezing on start up. If I take too long to log in, it'll freeze on the log in page, but it typically freezes a few minutes after windows 10 starts up.
My first fix was starting in safe mode and disabling quite a few unwanted programs from startup(things like outlook, Autodesk, my canon printer apps, and origin)
This made it work for a few days and the problems started up again.
The next time I went back a few weeks to a restore point before some update. Once again, worked a few days and the problem came back.
After this occured a few more times, I eventually noticed it happened almost every time my computer needed to update. I looked everywhere to find some way to stop the updates but couldn't, so I went back once again a few days and went crazy removing programs I didnt use any longer (Photoshop, autoCAD, all the canon apps, ECT.) After doing that I ran a full virus scan and nothing was found so my computer is clean. I ran CCleaner and cleaned up a whole bunch of files and ran everything I could find through windows to see if there was any errors occuring. None were found. Started the start up repair and other troubleshooting options to no avail.
My computer had 2 updates pending, one was the Januray 2019 Windows 10 update and one was from December. The January one kept erroring out but I evenutally got it to download properly. I let my computer update and shutdown.
The next day it froze during one of the installations but I restarted my computer and it installed just fine. Worked for a few days again and now its back to square one.
When I look at the health of my computer, it is this constant graph going further and further down close to 1.
And now, safe mode isnt even working.
I'm running out of patience with this computer. Its about 2 years old and I haven't used it that much for it to acting out this bad. My computer that is almost 10 years old runs better and has never had any issues and they are the same brand.

My specs are as follows:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4gb
Intel Core i7 Processor 6700
Windows 10 Home
1TB harddrive (still have most of this available)
12 GB RAM
I would give more info if I could but I cant even get on my pc to run it. I looked up what I could from the service tag.

If Safe Mode doesn't work then something inside windows core is not working. Backup your data and program setup files and software license keys. Download MS Media Creation Tool. It can generate a Windows install DVD or USB stick. Boot with that, and choose Custom Install. Delete all partitions, and let if continue with the un-allocated space. Windows will activate OK because MS remembers your hardware when last activated.

Lexxingtun

So I was able to go back a few days again and the computer works for now. I deleted my printer's apps and the driver, hoping that could be the culprit since I installed it about the time the computer started acting weird, but I really think its the update. Everytime it updates, its like windows breaks down, yet it can never find an issue in troubleshooting mode.

Will the method you said be a good fix for that too? I bought an external harddrive last night and copied a whole bunch of files to it in case I have to wipe everything.

Yes, a clean install would fix problems with Windows Update. Windows was known to be problematic when upgrading to new versions. Last may 2018 Windows 10 was v1803 and in oct 2018 it upgraded to v1809. Upgrading from one version to the next is for people who can't perform a clean install because of too many applications/ lost program setup keys / too lazy to backup their data The upgrade scenarios that MS prepared for are very few, tested with very few installed applications ( they can't test with all the known software in the world ) .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online