1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezing, and going black

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gabgirl, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gabgirl

Gabgirl Thread Starter

Computer: Dell Inspiron 531s
    Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pk 2

I recently updated my Norton Internet Security program a few days ago to its latest version, 2011. Everything seemed to be fine, then today I stepped away from my PC for awhile, but when I returned I noticed my Screen was freezing up, and whenever I'd try to bring up the task manager, the screen went completely black, then I received this message: "Logon Process failed to create security options dialog." I tried to shut the computer down, but it wouldnt shut down properly. I couldn't even shut it down by the power button. So I unplugged it and rebooted. When it started up I continued to get the freezing. I then remembered that there was a Mcafee security plus uploaded on my system when I downloaded Adobe Reader several months ago. I never used the Mcafee system, and it didn't seem to cause problems. Norton is the Security system that i've been using, but i'm wondering if my recent update of the program what has caused the problem. I've also noticed when I right clicked on several programs on my Desktop to pull down the menu(exp. Internet Explorer, Yahoo Messenger), I'm seeing Run as Administrator, Norton Internet Security, Norton File Insight in the menu.

All of this is strange to me, but I hope that someone can help me get this straightened out.

Thanks in advance
    Gabgirl

2. ken1987

ken1987

hmmm, see on your msconfig

3. Gabgirl

Gabgirl Thread Starter

Hello Ken. I saw the Mcafee when I went to RUN, and I disabled it. Is that what should help the problem?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

5. Gabgirl

Gabgirl Thread Starter

Thank you So much for the link Lunalander. I'll definitely uninstall this Mcafee security off my system.

6. Gabgirl

Gabgirl Thread Starter

I'm back! I did remove the free Mcafee Security Scan Plus that was installed with My Adobe Reader, but it seems that i'm still having the same problems with the freezing and screen going black(It happened earlier tonight). Considering I was prompted by Norton to upgrade to the NIS 2011, I was wondering could all of these problems stem from Norton not removing the NIS 2010 before adding the newer version?

I don't know a whole lot about these computer programs, so just wondering what could be the problem....because the system was operating fine before this new upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated.

7. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Hi,
    One, you should (if you can) remove the Solved , so more experienced members or a moderator does not overlook your post.
    Two: Was your computer working A-Ok before Norton did the upgrade?

8. Gabgirl

Gabgirl Thread Starter

Hi, Ray!! Thanks, but I actually unclicked the Solved to UNSOLVED Assuming that it would appear that way to everyone that came to the board.

As to your question....Yes, my computer was working fine. There's a sizeable hard drive, and memory. I didn't have any problems with the Norton Internet Security 2010...I loved it!. But within the past week after this upgrade, its just been giving me a complete headache. I can barely surf the net without freezes or getting "performance alerts" from Norton saying CPU is at 96%. Just crazy!. So, I've tried to clear things up by taking the Mcafee program off. But it looks like it wasn't apart of the problem, thats why I'm assuming it was this new update of NIS.

I just hope others are able to see that the board is still open.

9. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

10. Gabgirl

Gabgirl Thread Starter

Oh I agree...and I assumed thats what happened when Norton did the update, but based on the way the system has been acting lately....I don't think so.

Thank you so much for the link, Ray!!!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice