1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing Consistently (Maybe not the standard problems?)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lessthandan, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lessthandan

lessthandan Thread Starter

Okay, so making a very long story short, my computer keeps freezing up and crashing down on me. First, and foremost, specs:

HP A530N // Windows XP Pro SP2 // [2] 512MB PC3200 sticks // 200GB HDD // AMD 3200+

I upgraded the memory to 1GB today, hence the 2 512 sticks. What's been happening to me lately is that whenever I open up ANY application, I will not be able to open another one without my computer stalling. For example, I tried to uninstall my belkin utility, and it froze up at 19%. Then I tried to close it, and nothing happened. Tried to open up other applications, and couldnt. Tried to CTRL ALT DEL, couldnt. I can still move the mouse, but it disappears on the desktop, and reappears elsewhere on the screen (taskbar, etc.). So then, all I can do is reboot.

I checked crucial.com to make sure I didnt need to have matching sticks for memory. One is PC2700, one is PC3200. From what I understand, the 3200 stick would clock itself down to 2700 speed, correct? If thats not the case, then would the mixup in the pairs cause my machine to hang, or would that be an issue that I would recognize via BSOD or something.

Could it possibly be the hard drive? I've ran PCCheck and CHKDSK, and both have shown clean results. I would restore my machine, BUT....I forgot the administrator password. Any way for me to find that out? I heard there was some way on XP, but Im not too sure....

I will say that I have not experienced any type of a blue screen, or any type of virus/spyware issue. I feel the case is hardware related...any ideas?

Thanks guys.

--Dan

2. lessthandan

lessthandan Thread Starter

3. The Hound

The Hound

Sorry--the rules here forbid lost password assistance.

Did you get the video driver issue solved? Wonky video drivers cause havoc of all kinds...The nforce drivers for the board are a different download from the NVidia Geforce drivers for the card...

If you haven't change anything besides the RAM, your drivers are here...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!