1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing Constantly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Debutante, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Debutante

Debutante Thread Starter

My PC is freezing alot mainly after internet activity and especially after e-mails are sent.
    This is my Hijack This log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 1:10:32 PM, on 12/14/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
    c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wpabaln.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpSvc.exe
    C:\Startup Files\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,90/mcinsctl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,23/mcgdmgr.cab
    O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe

I thought I had an IRQ conflict between my network card and my graphics components which were both given IRQ 5. So I tried changing the PCI slot of the network card and now the network card and AC97 controller are both reading IRQ 5. However I am not getting a warning in the device manager that would indicate a problem so I'm not sure that's it to begin with. I only have Windows XP and Mcafee installed. The computer is a Microstar MS-6315 mobo, Intel 733mghz with 256 Kingston RAM. Its my internet access computer and I would really like to have it exclusively for that. My network card is a D-Llink DX-530TX, more recent that the PC for sure.

If this means something to anyone, please help. Thank you!

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi..D/load..Spybot..Ad-Aware..links below..
    Check for updates..Scan..remove all that shows up in Ad-Aware..
    And those in Red in Spybot..
    Post a new log..install in C:\ program file..

3. Debutante

Debutante Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think its spy/malware of any kind. The freezing has occured even after a fresh install of Windows. I'm wondering if it has to do with the IRQ thing that I mentioned earlier. Maybe a newer network card in an old machine....?

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi in device manager..are there any yellow exclamation marks..or red X's?

5. Debutante

Debutante Thread Starter

There are no exclamations to speak of or any other warnings in the device manager. So I disabled the PCI network card an enabled the onboard one. As I said, there are no signs in the device manager, but now in System Information there is now a value of 11 given to my onboard network device and the AGP display component.

-Shouldn't this show up in the device manager?

-Even so, everything is native now, so how can there be this IRQ problem to begin with?... and is it EVER possible for an IRQ value to be shared?

6. Debutante

Debutante Thread Starter

I checked again just to make sure: no warnings whatsoever in the device manager...but AGP and ONBOARD networking are sharing IRQ 11 according to System Information. Is there any way to assign IRQ's?...safely?

7. Debutante

Debutante Thread Starter

I was wondering...could it be that a piece of hardware is dying for me here? Also to bump the thread...:)

8. Debutante

Debutante Thread Starter

...no ideas ??:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/425284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice