1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing INSANITY

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dillydot, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dillydot

dillydot Thread Starter

OK, I thought it was impossible for me to be more grateful to this forum than I was after a thread helped solve my Xupiter problem, but if anyone can help me now, it would be wonderful.

I have had a hideous bout of computer freeze-ups.. I will try and detail anything that may have had some small part to play in it.

In December, I installed a wireless mouse, and in January I installed (well my roommate installed) a new hard drive. There were some difficulties installing it (due to the ribbon cable not being long enough for my case), but we finally got it in. After that, my problems started. Internet explorer would randomly freeze the screen and I would be unable to do anything except manually shut off the computer. I tried downloading IE patches but the problem persisted until I tried "restoring to previous windows configuration" under add/remove programs. This made it so that my computer couldn't even load to my desktop and didn't work in safe mode. Somehow my computer guru friend fixed it so that it worked by reloading Me onto it or something. After that, the problem persisted, so I decided to upgrade to Windows XP, thinking this would fix the problem. This didn't, but my roommate told me that the XP upgrade was just bad anyway, so I formatted my new harddrive and uploaded XP onto that from scratch, and am currently using that one as the master and the old one as the slave (before it was the other way around). Well, despite all the OS changes, my computer still insists on freezing up, and now it does it during other programs than IE (although it is most frequent with IE). I have tried reading other threads here, but my problem seems to have so many different places that something wrong could have happened I felt it warranted a separate post. So, basically I'm stuck with XP freezing randomly (3 times during the times I've attempted to post this) and me having to restart my computer several times a day. Please help!

2. ***ROPAK***

***ROPAK***

Do you know if the new drive was set to "master" and your cd rom to "slave" during installation?

If there both on master then lock ups would occur.

3. dillydot

dillydot Thread Starter

Nope, one was on slave and one was on master. :confused:

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So much has changed. XP is very picky about video drivers and if you are still using the ones that you used with WinME, you should go to the vendor's support page and get the latest XP compatible drivers.

Moreover, after formatting the hard drive, you need to determine whether the motherboard requires additional drivers such as those for the Via chipset. If so, they need to be reinstalled.

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

As long as you can access in both drives in windows. It looks like you got it right. Otherwise your system wouldnt even boot to windows if both drives were set @ master.

As for your freezing problem.....
    After reinstalling the operating system a few times. It seems to be a hardware problem to me.
    Everyone will need more info about the computer to help in diagnosing it.
    What are your system specs? cpu, motherboard, ETC....

How long does it take before the system freezes up?
    Does the case have adequate cooling? any case fans installed?
    Is it obstructed in any way to properly cool the system.

Try running Doc memory. This program will check your memory for errors.

Let the test run for a few hours....to verify that the memory is good.

Good luck!
    Rockinmale:cool:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!