1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing, no BSoD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaded_ragna, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaded_ragna

shaded_ragna Thread Starter

Hello,

My computer freezes very randomly, it can take as long as a week or as short as an hour. It really doesn't make sense, there is no BSoD, my computer just locks up, I can hear a sound repeating over and over (infinite loop?) so I have no option other than to reset. It might be related to what happened like, half a year ago, where my video driver would crash. This didn't happen until about a few months after I got my video drivers though, so I have no idea what is wrong with it.

My system specs are:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: XFX79U
    System Model: XFX nForce 790i Ultra 3-Way SLI
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GT

2. aliasme

aliasme

The best advice I can give you is to make sure that your system BIOS is updated. Next, do the same for the motherboard chipset drivers, and then update the video drivers, in that order. Since you're using Win7, you probably don't have to worry about updating DirectX; I don't believe that MS has made any changes to it since Win7 was released.

Once you've done that, let us know if your problem is fixed, or if the system is still freezing randomly.

3. shaded_ragna

shaded_ragna Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm new to this so I don't know how to update my BIOs. I've looked all over but I couldn't find a specific answer or place to download the the updates. So, can anyone tell me how or where to find the updates?

4. aliasme

aliasme

You can get help directly from XFX here:

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx

You'll have to REGISTER to get support, which I think is STUPID, but you won't get help or updates unless you register.

Once you register, you can find out if XFX has released an updated BIOS for your system. If so, they should have a program or utility you can use to get the BIOS updated. Contact their support people for specific instructions; they should be able to provide step-by-step instructions.

Be VERY CAREFUL when you update your BIOS; if you screw it up, you could ruin your motherboard PERMANENTLY. Things sometimes DO go wrong when flashing a BIOS, so if you'd prefer NOT to do it, you should at least check for updates to the motherboard chipset drivers and the video drivers.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to help you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice