computer freezing randomly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

swain_a

i have a pentium3 system.since last week my comp freezing randomly.the problem started first while booting with windows xppro.it just locked.after pressing reset it ran fine but froze while i was working with shareaza.since then my system freezing randomly after every boot.i formatted my comp and installed windows 98.but the problem is still there.i checked my comp.fan is working fine.cleaned all dusts but still freezing.i'm a bit addicted with counter-strike.however my comp never freezes while playing counter-strike or aoe even for 5-8 hours.plzz help
my comp is little more than 1 year old.i set my bios default mode.but the problem is still there.my keyboard and mouse is freezing.plzz help

Can you supply a little more info on your hardware? P3 come in slot1 and socket 370, what is the processor speed and FSB speed? If you set BIOS to default and your processors FSB is 133MHz the BIOS default setting would set it to 100MHz or 66MHz depending on the chipset, that may be your problem.

swain_a

i dunno much about hardware.however my speed is something like 133*something.tell me if this is the problem how to solve it.

swain_a

ok i got it.my speed is 864 mhz.now tell me what to do next plzz.i'm frust with these computer.

If you download aida and run it it will give all the info on your system hardware which you can cut and paste to post here.

swain_a

i checked with a new mouse .that didn't help.here is my system information.
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 10/05/2001-601-686B-6A6LIM49C-00
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6368

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz
Effective Clock 133 MHz
Bandwidth 1066 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 3 PCI
RAM Slots 2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 200 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset PLE133
CPU Properties
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 866 MHz (6.5 x 133)
CPU Alias Coppermine, CuMine, A80526
CPU Stepping cD0
Original Clock 866 MHz
L1 Code Cache 16 KB
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 370 Pin FC-PGA
Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
Transistors 28.1 million
Process Technology 6M, 0.18 um, CMOS
Die Size 95 mm2
Core Voltage 1.6 - 1.8 V
I/O Voltage 3.3 V
Typical Power 11 - 25 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 16.0 - 37.5 W (depending on clock speed)

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8601A Apollo PLE133
In-Order Queue Depth 4
CAS Latency 3T
RAS To CAS Delay 3T
RAS Precharge 3T

Integrated Graphics Controller
Graphics Controller Type Trident CyberBlade
Graphics Controller Status Enabled
Graphics Frame Buffer Size 8 MB

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 128 MB (SDRAM)

AGP Properties
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

BIOS Properties
BIOS Type Award Modular
Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message W6368H8 V3.1 100501 15:41:33-VOYAGER1-L-HCL-LDS
System BIOS Date 10/05/01
Video BIOS Date 04/25/20

what to do next??

You motherboard has integrated video; with a maximum of 8MB shared memory not to many games can play on that configuration. Are you using a PCI video card and if you do did you disable the integrated video? And how much memory are you running? Your motherboard can only handles 1GB maximum, some motherboards will act this way do to much or to little memory. If you have 1GB try cutting that in half, and if you have 64MB try increasing it to 256MB.

swain_a

i couldn't understand the meaning of what u told.how to find out whether i have a pci video card or not.as for 64 mb i have a 128 mb ram.i dont have much computer knowledge.plzz tell me how to check all these.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
"DRAM Slot #1 128 MB (SDRAM)"

This could be related to bad RAM, can you try borrowing another piece from someone to try. The RAM should be PC133. You can also try testing the RAM with a program from the below link, but I do not know how good the tests really are.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=26

What temperature is the CPU running at? Aida32 might tell you or you may have to check in the BIOS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online