1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezing/shutting down when playing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by nosferatu1022, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosferatu1022

nosferatu1022 Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on my issue, as I'm stumped at this point.

Beginning on October 22nd, my computer began locking up when playing games. The problem first occured in Minecraft and now affects all other games on my laptop. All games worked with highest settings and no issues prior to October 22nd. My laptop is not overheating, the hard drive is roughly 70% full and I'm not maxing CPU or RAM prior to crashes.

When the computer crashes, either the monitor will go black, leaving only a pixelated thin bar at the top (full lock out, manual restart), OR the image on the screen will freeze (full lock out, manual restart), OR the computer will completely shut off. Furthermore, after hard resetting the computer, I'll have to wait a minute or so or the computer won't turn back on.

Again, this issue began on October 22nd and I have not had any issues prior. No installations or updates took place immediately prior to this problem and no issues have occured outside of gameplay.

Here are some of the steps I have done so far:

Updated display/gfx drivers
    Updated Direct X
    Un/installed Java (minecraft)
    Tried running on single core
    Updated sound drivers
    Cleaned all ports, fans and intakes with computer duster
    Ran two full virus/spyware scans (only 2 cookies removed)
    Defragged, deleted unused programs, cleared Win, IE and temp files, registry clean up twice using two separate programs, optimized disks, ran diagnostic reports, and I'm sure there's more. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled games with no effect.

I've found no issues using diagnostic programs and manual checking device manager. I'm completely stumped and don't know why this randomly started on the aforementioned date. No viruses, no vundo, no spyware on system. This affects both online and offline gaming. Computer with similar, worse and better specs in my household are experiencing no issues.

Thank you for your time. If you need anything else, I'll be happy to provide it.

HijackThis report:

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice