1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing - Unexpected.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by powercat, Jun 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. powercat

powercat Thread Starter

Hi

I upgraded my system to Pentium 3 with 1.2 MHz Duron and it doesn't matter what application I run but out of the blue, it freezed up the system where I can't move the mouse but I had to reset the computer by rebooting again. What is causing this?

The former motherboard I had was Pentium 3 with 600MHZ Celeron cpu but never gets this freezing problems. With add on sound card Creative Ensoniq. The motherboard was unknown but it Via Technoligies brand). Same OS with same 384mb ram, same video card.

The new motherboard has a built in sound card to whether it causing conflict. All the perpherials are usbs.

Windows 2000
    384mb ram memory
    32 mb Hecules Prophert 32MB Nvidia video card.
    Via AC97 video card (built in sound card)
    Shuttle AK12 motherboard (Via Technologies brand)

I will be appreciated your help.

Regards

J.E. Henry
    [email protected] :)

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

For starters, it sounds like you didn't format the hard drive and reload Windows.

When you change motherboards, even same model but different revision, you need to format and reload because of the drivers and system component conflicts.

That is the most likely reason.

3. powercat

powercat Thread Starter

I had formatted the hard drive and still a problems locking up pc that can't move the mouse but had to reboot.

It freezes (lock up) every 2 hours or less unexpectedly.
    I don't really have a clue now!!

J.E. Henry
    [email protected]:(

4. wedor

wedor

Does this happen after heavy use? or just random?

5. powercat

powercat Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you mean heavy use or random?

It just happens all the time every 2 hours or less every day!! It really time consuming in the middle of applications - any applications I using.

I know the previous motherboard don't give that problem at all. Just the new one.

Regards

J.E. Henry
    [email protected]

6. wedor

wedor

If it happens while you are doing a lot on the system it could be heat related, if it's random it could be something else. Have you run an up to date anti-virus scan?

7. powercat

powercat Thread Starter

Hi

What that about heat related. I remember send that motherboard to check out with a technician and he checked the thermal paste and the fan to insert properly and he said was fine.

In bios setup there is frequency "CPU Host/PCI/Spread Spec. and you can change like 100/133/off. or 100/133/0.5 and so on.

CPU Host/PCI/Spread Spec: This is to set CPU Host Clock (100MHZ or 133MHZ) and PCI clock. and Spread Spec. typically reduces system electromagnetic interference.

I don't know that one very well not like with old motherboard doesn't say that.

Also there is Current CPU Temperature, Current System Temp, CPU Fan Speed, Power Fan Speed, Vcore and 3.3V, 5V and 12V sections that I haven't touch it and don't know what that do.

I do check virus but no virus because it formatted clean.

If there anything that I can insert from the book I would appreciate that to prevent freezing problems I get every 1-2 hours or less all the time every day.

It seems very mysterious to me and puzzled.

Regards

J.E. Henry

8. powercat

powercat Thread Starter

I spoke to the technician via email and he said the faulty ram modules so I bought a fresh brand new memory and took the ones from the old motherboard that I put in the motherboard out and put the brand new memory and it running fine with no more freezing. Also in Display in Control panel in Properties=>setting=>Advanced=>Troubleshooting=> and change the slider to move left one line and it fine now.

I don't know why that to happens like that. Never seen that sort of problems I get before in all motherboards that I build in computers for friends and family.

Regards

J.E. Henry

:)

9. wedor

wedor

Well it's good to hear that you got it worked out, thanks for letting us know!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/85218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice