1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezing up.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hakm3131, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hakm3131

hakm3131 Thread Starter

Just upfront I want you to know that my computer knowledge is on the low end of the totem pole. I have a Dell computer. I had to replace my CPU recently. I got a Dell XPS. My operating system is Windows XP. My computer keeps freezing up many times a day. I have been in Word, in Peachtree, Go to my pc, or just online, it doesn't seem to matter. The mouse will not move and it will not allow me to do a Control-Alt-Delete. I have gotten a blue screen several times since I got this computer a month or so ago, but not recently. I really need help and don't know where to start. I had a computer guy come to the house twice, and he hasn't fixed problem. Thanks for anyone's ideas......

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Welcome to the forum.
    The issue could be that the heat sink for the CPU is not seated properly, or the fan is not spinning.

If you don't understand a term that is used, you can use www.webopedia.com or www.whatis.com .

1. Why did you replace the CPU?

2. Did you replace the CPU? If not, who did, Dell, or a 3rd party?

3. You note that you are not proficient in computer skills.

4. RIGHT click "my computer"
    Left click "properties".
    On the "general tab", look for the following:
    Version of Windows. You note XP. Is it XP Home, XP Pro, XP Media Center?
    Which SP [ service pack ]?
    How much memory / ram is in your computer?

5. Which Dell XPS have you?

6. As a test, boot to safe mode.
    Re-start your computer.
    As soon as the "Dell" splash screen appears, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard, once a second.
    Your PC will stop the startup / boot process at a black screen with white text. Use your up / down arrows to highlight [ select ] safe mode.
    Press the "enter" key on your keyboard.
    Sign in.
    Left click "OK" or "yes" when the computer informs you that you are running in safe mode.
    Leave the computer on for what you believe to be a reasonable time. Does the computer hang?

Reboot, without tapping the F8 key.

Report your results.

RF123

3. hakm3131

hakm3131 Thread Starter

To answer some of your questions. I replaced my old CPU because I kept getting the blue screen of death. I bought this new CPU from Dell online. I have XP Media Center Version 2002, SP 2, 2.4 GHz, 2.0 GB of ram. I have the Dell XPS 720. I did what you asked. It did not hang during safe mode, but I couldn't get into some of my usual programs such as Peachtree and AOL. When I rebooted without typing the F8 key, it did hang on the welcome screen. I didn't know how to get out of that without unplugging the computer, so I did that. When it rebooted, it made it through to my icon screen. Oh, I forgot to tell you it also sometimes has black boxes on the screen like the picture is going away. Not sure if this is related. Do I need to do anything else? Thanks so much for your help!!

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please provide the BSOD information, if available.

Did Dell recommend that you replace the CPU?

Is the replacement CPU the same type & speed as the original CPU?

For how long did you leave the computer in safe mode?

I suggest leaving it in safe mode all night. If it doesn't hang in safe mode, for ~ 8 hrs, the problem is probably not related to an over-heating CPU.

How soon after you replaced the CPU did your current problem begin?

Verify that the heat sink is firmly seated & verify that the cpu fan is spinning?

RIGhT click "my computer"
    Left click "properties"
    Left click the "advanced" tab.
    In the lower 3rd, under "startup & recovery" click the button.
    Go to the advanced tab.
    Be sure Windows is set to dump the files to C:\windows\minidump
    Left click "ok" until you are back where you started.

Open "my computer"
    Left click "tools"
    Left click "folder options"
    Left click the "view" tab
    In the big white background area, be sure it is set to show hidden & system files.
    Click "ok".

Go to C:\windows
    Open the folder "minidump"
    Clic "view"
    Click "details".
    What is the date of the most recently created file?

RF123

5. hakm3131

hakm3131 Thread Starter

I tried the safe mode all night but it did not hang. However, today when a co-worker was accessing Peachtree through "Go to My PC", it froze 4 times within 2 hours. I don't have the info on the BSOD. It really hasn't happened in awhile. We did not speak to Dell, a friend advised us to get a new CPU. The new CPU says it is Intel Core 2 Quad. The old CPU was a Dell XPS410. When I checked the minidump folder by following the instructions it had 2 entries, one was 10/15/07 72 kb, and the other 10/18/07 69kb. Any ideas?

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Did you replace the CPU before or after the minidumps were created?

Is your computer set as I suggested?
    Left click "properties"
    Go to the advanced tab.
    Be sure Windows is set to dump the files to C:\windows\minidump
    Left click "ok" until you are back where you started.

If no, that is probably why there are no new mini dumps, since Oct.

Is our computer set to automatically re-start? If yes, deselect the auto restart feature.

Left click "properties"
    Go to the advanced tab.
    Verify that the auto restart check box is unchecked.
    Clock "ok" x 2.

Because it didn't hang / freeze in safe mode, you probably do not have a hardware problem.

Do you have the latest program updates from Peachtree?

RF123

7. hakm3131

hakm3131 Thread Starter

I did change it from %SystemRoot%\Minidump to what you suggested C:\windows\minidump. I never saw an "advanced" tab after I clicked on the startup & recovery button. But I did see the above mentioned which I changed. It did say, "If the pagefile on VolumeC: has an initial size of less than 0 megabytes, then the system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP occurs. Continue anyway?" which I said "yes" to. Hope that was OK to do. I replaced the CPU before OCT when the minidumps occurred. I have the 2007 update, but there is now a 2008 which I do not have. I called Dell and he downloaded a new video card. I haven't used the computer much since then, but not sure if it will help or not. I don't think that the computer is set to automatically restart but I will follow your instructions. Thanks so much!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/661862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice