1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing when Alt Tabbed out of game

Discussion in 'Games' started by SirHoneyBadger, Sep 11, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. SirHoneyBadger

SirHoneyBadger Thread Starter

Recently my computer has been freezing when alt + tabbing out of games - mouse can still move but nothing happens when clicking on stuff - and the only way to fix it is to turn off my second monitor (monitor to my right) and turn it back on again, then moving everything that was on the right monitor back over again (as it was now on the left monitor). It's really frustrating! It prevents me from messaging other people or using youtube while playing. It used to be fine but maybe after a window's update it all went to ****, and i think maybe because i don't know if that's the issue or not. I play the games in Window Borderless which allows me to alt + tab out a game without the unnecessary black screen that you have in fullscreen, so i can do whatever i want on the right monitor. I can play in windowed mode which does prevent this issue but i think it's highly unnecessary to resort to windowed when i know i can play in Borderless, plus the addition of the taskbar getting in the way of the game.

Can anyone help me? I've switched the cables around (I use a HDMI and a DP port connector for my monitors ). The one on my right uses the DP connector which doesn't matter since the issue still occurred even if it used HDMI.

No idea why my computer is now doing this as it didn't use to do this. It's now VERY recurring, happening a lot of times per day when using.

Reminder. Alt + Tabbing out of game is fine unless i want to type or do anything else, since it "freezes" - as in i can't alt + tab back into the game or click on anything. And yes i've built the PC myself, been a year since with no issues.

Also as a sidenote, i hate a volume rocker on my keyboard which sometimes if i increase the volume a little while the game is loading up or in the menu screen, it also causes the freeze.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. Sponsor

3. SirHoneyBadger

It has come to my attention that the computer doesn't freeze, but the monitors stop updating the display as youtube videos still run in the background. Whenever i click out of the game the computer freaks out and the monitors stop updating / refreshing. Hence why when changing the audio causes the issue since a alert comes up showing the current audio value (Top left of the screen if on windows 8 or higher), this causes the freeze.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Please could anyone suggest a solution or at least some tips to solve this, annoying, issue.

4. Isaacoldton

Isaacoldton

Maybe ur pc is simply laggy or maybe its ram is too short for multitasking. what game do u play? Its good to clean ur pc

5. SirHoneyBadger

1. My PC isn't laggy by any means, the hardware is perfectly capable to do what i need to do. 2. I have 16GB RAM, so multi-tasking isn't an issue. 3. The game i play is Rainbow Six Siege, but i play other games like Grand Theft Auto V. 4. I cleaned my PC a few days ago.

Still have no idea why it's still doing it.

6. Isaacoldton

Isaacoldton

have u tried playing other games like league (doesnt require powerful pc) and alt tab?

7. Isaacoldton

Isaacoldton

if it does. run a malware scan with malwarebytes or iobit malware scan.

8. SirHoneyBadger

No offence mate but if you're not gonna provide useful suggestions then don't help.

Also, I've already done scans for malware and viruses.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196136