1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezing when copying files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beyblade65, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beyblade65

Beyblade65 Thread Starter

Now I know what your thinking: its probably the hard drive.:(
    When the HD is running full out (i.e copying files or playing games) the computer randomly freezes. I mean, in the middle of a transfer that lasts longer than a few seconds there is a chance of the computer completely freezing on me.(no BSOD either...) I was lucky and managed to copy all my important pics and documents, but all my games and 2 years worth of bookmarks were lost.
    First off, I tried copying the files from the supposed 'faulty' hard drive onto my secondary drives. Since the transfers were freezing halfway on Win 7, I went on to my Ubuntu installation on the same harddrive to try and copy my files only to find the computer freezing again. So having eliminated the Windows installlation stability, I determined it must be my HDD, and decided to run a spin write level four check only to have it run to a critical error about 2 days through the scan. (I think I have the error message codes if anyone can make sense out of them...)By this time Windows 7 was completely not booting, and was freezing on the windows logo loading screen.
    So I decided to sacrifice my games and bookmarks and reinstalled Windows 7 to find the same error.
    Being fed up with the same error again and again, I decided to replace the suspect of the problem ( I was sure it was the HD.)So i replaced it with a 750GB Segate Barracuda, and recently when I was copying a file again, the same freeze reappeared.. :(

I cant return the HD (since it was refurbished) and I dont want to waste anymore of my dad's money without knowing for sure the exact cause of the problem. Any help is appreciated. :p
    My specs:
    2GB RAM OCED @ 800MHZ
    AMD Athlon 4600x2 OCED @ 2.6GHZ
    MSI K9NU NEO-V mobo
    XFX Nvidia 8800GS w. 384MB
    750GB Segate Barracuda
    2x120mm fans and HD coolers...

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Have you run memtest?

3. Beyblade65

Beyblade65 Thread Starter

yes i have, by the way, just an update, but the comp is now not going past the windows loading screen just like before... but Ill run another mem test just to be certain. :p Thanks for the reply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!