1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing

Discussion in 'General Security' started by THEROMANTICHOPEFUL, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THEROMANTICHOPEFUL

THEROMANTICHOPEFUL Thread Starter

My laptop started freezing 7 days ago. I found my security protection was turned off though was unaware thinking it was on. My computer worked fine until 7 days ago. I have tried to uninstall my old security, install new security, tried freeing up space on laptop, tried everything the last 7 days but have only a minute before computer freezes again not allowing enough time to complete anything I attempt to fix the problem. I am completely exhausted from the stress and not sleeping well because of it. I have very important files of my work on my laptop, saved unfinished projects that have been working on for over a year. And I am now seeking someone's help on how to fix the problem. I was going to bring my computer to someone but am on a fixed budget.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

It would be of great assistance if you told us the make and full model of the laptop and the OS
    When you say you have tried everything - what please to save me suggesting something you have already tried

Have you tried booting it safe mode

3. THEROMANTICHOPEFUL

Hello there,
    My laptop is Toshiba satellite C55-135100 Windows 8.1.
    Yes, I have tried freeing up space by deleting unnecessary files but sometimes when I go to recycle bin to empty the files are not there. I tried disk cleanup, defragment but it freezes before completing. I managed to look up some info on my laptop that states current status as everything healthy and enough space so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I have tried system restore but does not recognize the change. I have attempted safe mode but when I get to recovery nothing else happens, it won't go further and then it freezes again. I had free AVG security protection but it says it is turned off and when I hit the "fix it" button nothing happens then laptop freezes again. When I look up info on my laptop about AVG, it says it was reinstalled in December 2017. I have tried uninstalling the previous protection to install new protection but laptop freezes before completing. With everything I attempt I only have 1 minute before my laptop freezes again. It seems I never have enough time to complete something. I tried installing Norton security but when it connects to server and I go to activate I am requested to create an account but half way in filling out info my laptop freezes each time.

4. Macboatmaster

It is impossible at this stage what the cause is
    However check first to see if the cause is overheating
    See this
    NOT your Toshiba but the principle is the same
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cleaning-my-hardware-fan-toshiba-satellite-c855.1186122/

This is only a basic check, as if dust build up is the cause then a dismantling may be necessary and on the Satellite laptops that is a major job requiring removal of the keyboard. It is not a job to be undertaken without experience.
    However if you find the vents are obviously dust choked you may proceed with an air duster spray to clean them and if it then stays on longer you know that is the cause.

What OS was on the Toshiba originally and did this error occur totally without warning or has there error messages or some other events before it started shutting down

5. THEROMANTICHOPEFUL

The laptop originally came with Windows Microsoft 8 and I believe a year ago I upgraded to Windows 10.
    I had actually thought about an air duster to see if that was the prob. I will do that. Thank you.
    The prob with the freezing and disabling of protection happened without any warning or messages of any kind. It was working just fine the night before and all the sudden the laptop started freezing. I last worked on it Sunday after 10 pm and when I went on to continue some work after 5 am Monday is when the freezing started.

6. Macboatmaster

I asked
    and you replied
    but now you are telling me it is windows 10, although originally 8
    So to avoid confusion please confirm the OS is now 10

If so go here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    on another computer
    make yourself a dvd if the Toshiba has a dvd player or a usb installation media following the instructions for create media for use on another computer
    When you have that media made
    post back

7. Mark-Y

Mark-Y

You must likely caught a virus while your antivirus was off. Seems like the virus exhausting your system resources and that's preventing you from doing any meaningful thing on your laptop.
    Disconnect from the internet, login under different user name (or create new one with admin privileges), uninstall what you want to uninstall, run anti-virus and you are all set.
    Cheers.

hello457474 likes this.
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice