1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iannmc, Jul 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iannmc

Iannmc Thread Starter

Hi, I have been having problems with my computer slowing down drastically, and within the last couple days, completely freezing after about 20 minutes.
    I've tried to figure this out on my own with using the Avast antivirus/Driver updater/Cleanup, as well as restoring to previous dates. However that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks for any help with this!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4017 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 886 GB (294 GB Free); D: 24 GB (23 GB Free); F: 1397 GB (369 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Lenovo G50-80
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Disabled

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you install any new programs lately before noticing this slowdown? Some programs have a background component that always runs. Open Task Manager, Processes tab. Click on the CPU column header, this will sort the heavy CPU programs to the top.

3. Iannmc

Iannmc Thread Starter

The only programs that I've installed since noticing the slowdown have been Avast, and updating Firefox and iTunes. I do always seem to have a ton of Internet Cache to delete (so I run CCleaner).
    Looking at the Task Manager-process-CPU the only programs that seem to be consistently at the top are McAfee, which I don't use, and WMI Provider Host.
    However the Disk column is at 100% with AVG Antivirus Installer, System, Avast Emergency Update, AVG Antivirus and McAfee at the top. Though as I'm typing this, Disk is dropping back to 0% and back up to 50%.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Uninstall Mcafee. Uninstall AVG. You have Win 10, use the built in Windows Defender, which is quite good. Third party AV's have a tough time catching up with semi annual releases of new versions of Win 10. As a result, incompatibilty problems exists.

5. Iannmc

Iannmc Thread Starter

All uninstalled and restarted, everything seems to be running smoothly again so far.
    Thanks for your help!

6. nicholas22

nicholas22

So, this slowdown is caused by antivirus? D**n, why didn't I realize it before. Thanks for your explanation, lunarlander!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice