1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guy, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guy

Guy Thread Starter

specs:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Athlon Xp 1800+ stock hsf
    Radeon 9500
    Maxtor 15 GB Drive
    LG 4x2x24x Burner
    ----------------------------------

Well, to keep it short, my computer randomly freezes to the point where I can not do anything. sometimes this happens during boot up, sometimes after 10 minutes of usage, sometimes just looking through the bios.

here are some things that I have done since it was working properly:

-uninstalled zone alarm
    -downloaded some xp updates
    -downloaded updated mobo drivers
    -upped cpu multiplyer to 12x
    -reset mobo multiplyer to 11.5x
    -flashed bios with 1003 (it froze before and after i did this)
    -installed new HD
    -removed the HD
    -swore at my computer a lot

it seems like it is an overheating problem but i checked my cpu temp at idle and its only 32 degrees celcius.

There are a couple specific questions I have but any help is appreciated.

1. is there a way to measure Video card tempurature? or even HD tempurature (at one point it was pretty crowded but its open now and still freezing)

2. Like my specs say I have an A7N8X Deluxe and recently update my bios, however, I was unsure of my pcb revision (as they have 2 different bioses for different revisions). Where can I find out my revision number

3. in the bios there is something called FSB Spread Spectrum. What the heck is that? (it wont let me change it from 0.5% but says the default is disabled)

Any other help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

. in the bios there is something called FSB Spread Spectrum. What the heck is that? (it wont let me change it from 0.5% but says the default is disabled)

It offsets the signal at the PCI bus in order to reduce electromagnetic interference. It really does nothing preformance wise. But if you have a radio nearby, it can help your reception. :D

Could either be the motherboard, or the memory, or the power supply.

Incorrect voltage fluctuations from the PS can do this, and is my first guess.

Oh, it could also be a drive controller. Try running it with just the hard drive.

3. Nothingface

Nothingface

First thing you should do is try a different power supply. Many times, when the power supply has gone bad it causes random crashes. 2nd thing i'd do is try a different video card.

4. mt_goodrich

mt_goodrich

I was going to suggest the power supply also.

Almost same thing was happening with one of my user's PCs. Switched out power supply and problems disappeared.

5. cheapshot

cheapshot

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I agree with the previous posters, sounds like a power supply problem. That's not to say the power supply is bad, just wrong for your system. Or a memory problem. Bad memory can cause a host of strange things to happen, but again the memory might work in another rig, it may be wrong for yours.

That's why when trouble shooting problems like this it's best to change out things into your rig, not try your parts in another rig.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/129046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice