1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cornwallis, May 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cornwallis

Cornwallis Thread Starter

I've had this problem for a long time now. My computer freezes for no appearant reason. I'll be doing anything from just surfing the net to listening to music to playing a game and it will freeze. Sometimes it will freeze after a long time of being on(2-5 hours) and sometimes it'll freeze during the scandisk on bootup, and other times it doesn't even turn on(i hit the power but the work light comes on and nothing happens). I've taken it in twice, had the harddrive swapped for a new one, reinstalled everything, but nothing has worked so far. After taking it in though it did work like normal for a long time but eventually the freezing came back. I've sort of been suspecting elecrical issues although I don't know how they could cause this.

I haven't been able to find a solution so hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't at all be surprised if it was a faulty powersupply. When it doesn't start, does it do anything at all? Any beeps? any lights?

3. Cornwallis

When i turn it on if you were to look at the tower everything seems normal except when you look up at the moniter the light stays orange (if it were working it would turn green and show me something on the screen).

If it is a faulty power supply, is there a way i could make sure/fix it?

4. blue shore

blue shore

It may be the video Card,did your check , the computer is running Good but it just the monitor, or did you check your keyboard or even the mouse can make trouble if they have problem specialy if they have USB extention.

5. Atex

Atex

My computer did the same. In my case it was a corrupted memory module. Might no be what's causing your computer to freeze, but you might want to check it out.

6. zeddy

zeddy

I am with Triple6, get the Power supply checked.

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Pull and re-seat everything inside your computer, and run it for a while with the cover off.

You should be able to buy and try new memory and a PS from a place that will accept returns if un-needed.

Bad memory can cause a host of strange problems.

8. SirSmokesLot

SirSmokesLot

mine does the same thing, i find it does it expecialy on a humid day, i blame it on AMD over heating

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Hmm... so you are a victim I see. Yes it usually is someone else's fault. That attitude will get you real far in life.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Freezing / lockups can be difficult to find what is causing the problem. Here are some things you can try; we will start with the things that do not cost any money.
    1) Run with the side cover off of your computer and a small desk fan blowing air into the case. If your lockups stop, then you have found the problem to be overheating.
    2) Download and run a memory tester. Here is a link.
    http://simmtester.com./
    3) Delete your temp files and run chkdsk / defrag.
    4) If everything else checks out ok, replace the power supply with a quality unit. Stay away from cheap ps.

11. SirSmokesLot

SirSmokesLot

what i meant was that there is insufficient heating, you had to read between the lines

12. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Sorry. You probably mean 'cooling'. Add a cheap case fan (rear exhaust works best and cheap fans are usually quieter). Make sure your box is not in some enclosure, but out in the open. If you have a rear (other than the PS) you could try one in the bottom front (blowing into the case), that may help. And make sure all your cables are tucked out of the way as to not resrtict air-flow.

13. carltasha

carltasha

I am afraid that this fits in the intermitent catagory and will be a ***** . scandisk, defrag , check for spyware and virous , befor you try all that other stuff.

14. Cornwallis

This is just to let everyone know I'm working on this.

I just got a UPS thing that has power protection and battery backup, I'm going to hook it up tonight, and then leave it on all night tomorrow to see if it works.

I've pulled my tower out of it's normal cubby hole so I doubt the problem is over heating. From what I've been told electrical issues can't cause the problem I'm having.

I need to check on the courrupted memort thing, the first freeze occured during a game of CS a long time ago...

15. hammerbill

hammerbill

I agree with the memory proposal. One thing I like to do is use only one brand of memory. I have had freezing in the past when I mixed brands but now I never get it. Also, memory quality is an issue-probably even more than mixing. Cheap, generic memory WILL freeze your computer. While it is not necessary to spend your whole paycheck on a module of Corsair, even a Kingston, Micron or Crucial module should be reliable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/132998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice