1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JOMACK, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JOMACK

JOMACK Thread Starter

Hey, this computer freezes all the time probably 2 or 3 times a day. I will just be on the internet and it will freeze or just be typing in word and it will freeze. Everything stops moving and it has to be shut down using the power button.
    Its an HP. P3 800 mhz, 192 mb ram, running windows xp home, 4mb onboard video memory. If i had to guess i would assume that it is the 4mb video memory that is causing the problem but i dunno. I dont want to buy a video card if thats not the problem. And if it is how big should I buy 16 or 32 mb? I do not really do anything except get online use instant messenger and use microsoft word. Thanks for the help.

2. chakorules

chakorules

Have you checked the temperature lately in the BIOS?

Sometimes DUST can get in the CPU fan and cause overheat problems.

3. JOMACK

JOMACK Thread Starter

4. catlady13

catlady13

Dust inside your computer at all can cause things to overheat. Chakorules was suggesting that you enter the bios of your computer where they usually have a place that will tell you the temperatures inside your tower. A computer can suffer shutdowns from overheating , especially the processor or cpu. If you don't like to go into the bios or don't know how or can't navigate inthere .. you could download a program called aida 32 . It is free and will give you temperatures and all sorts of good information about your computer right from windows.
    http://www.webattack.com/get/aida32.shtml
    THis is one site you can download the program or you can do a search and download it other places as well.. I hope this helped your huh question ..

5. JOMACK

JOMACK Thread Starter

yeah thanks, but does that mean the only having 4mb of video memory has nothing to do with it?

6. Whitestar

Whitestar

Nope. having a 4mb video card shouldnt cause xp to crash. I used to run xp on a 4mb and never had any problems.

Also, i suggest using this instead of Aida32.

Everest is newer and more accurate when it comes to reading sensor information

7. JOMACK

JOMACK Thread Starter

I took a look at dust and I am still having trouble. I have no idea what you guys want me to do with those programs

8. chakorules

chakorules

I think what they are all trying to suggest is if you are uncofortable about booting into the BIOS to view the tempature of your computer, they offered links so you can download software in a more "user" friendly envorniment. We are questioning your CPU temperature. There are ways to look at the temperature of your CPU, CASE, etc...one way is look in the BIOS, the other way is to download the softwares that are suggested. Once you have verified your CPU temperature, you should report back and let us know what you found out.

9 time out 10, lock ups generally are assocatied with HEAT. Heat is assocatied with dust, or a dead fan, dust kills fan, hence why a fan would die in the first place, dust in fan bearings don't mix. Checking the CPU temp would be the first thing any tech on this board would look for knowing you have lock up problems. Once that is elimated, then we look for other things. Like stupid software....I won't mention any names here.

9. mnemonix

mnemonix

if its dust then just a vacuum cleaner (hoover) and suck it all out -- make sure nothing is loose!

if that dont do it then its just too hot - if its pretty hpot where you are -- take a few bevels of teh front of your case, or take the side off, or invest in a case fan.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice