1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loony_taz00, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loony_taz00

loony_taz00 Thread Starter

Alright I had a post in Game problems but now the problem has extended to Everything. When i am using my computer one of my hard drives makes a click sound... then the computer freezes then after about 5 seconds it works then in about 10secs- 2 mins later it clicks again and does the same thing? anyone got an idea?

2. ClubMan

ClubMan

It's quite possible that your hard disk is failing and the pauses are caused by it retrying many times to read faulty sectors. If possible get low level diagnostic utils from the drive manufacturer and test the disk. Check the Windows Event Viewer for any events related to disk problems that might be logged. Check in your BIOS if hard disk SMART reporting is enabled and, if so, if there are any SMART events logged. If the disk is failing and you want to continue with your existing setup then you could always get a new disk the same size or larger than the existing one and use something like CloneMaxx (free) to clone the disk contents. If necessary, after cloning you can use some form of non destructive repartitioning/partition resizing to access additional diskspace that may be available. I have used CloneMaxx in the past to clone a badly failing server hard disk and while it too ages (due to many retries on many sectors on the failing disk) it eventually worked and I was able to put the new disk into the server and things worked as if nothing had happened! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/412566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice