1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer freezing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by komodo24, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. komodo24

komodo24 Thread Starter

I recently bought a used laptop. It's a dell precision m40 with 256 mb ram, 30 gig hdd, Pentium 3. It was running windows 2000 however i didn't like using that version so i installed xp on it. Since then my computer freeses and i have to power it down and back on again. I does this quite oftens some days more than others lol. sometimes can go 3 hours without doing it others 10 mins. I thought it could be my fun malfunctioning and causing it to freze cause it does run hot at times. Or could it be my hdd going? I read somewhere that it could be uncompatible meaning that it causes probs like this one when running xp. I was wondering if someone had any suggestions on what I could do. I was going to go back to windows 2000 but didn't get any back up disks with the puter and would have to buy a copy. I don't want to spend the money unless necessary.....help very frustrating lol i had to type this out twice cause the stupid thing froze....

2. needafix

needafix

See if there is anything listed under "application" the event viewer selection in administrative tools.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

There may be something there listed with a white X inside a red circle. Click the icon to copy that info to the clipboard and post it here.

3. komodo24

komodo24 Thread Starter

There are a few of those I will have to type them becuase it's not letting me copy them

11/18/2005 10:04:13 AM EventSystem Error (50) 4609 N/A SAMANTHA-7J7WZ2 The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

11/18/2005 1:17:55 AM EventSystem Error (50) 4609 N/A SAMANTHA-7J7WZ2 The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

11/18/2005 12:41:37 AM EventSystem Error (50) 4609 N/A SAMANTHA-7J7WZ2 The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
    11/18/2005 12:41:14 AM ccProxy Information None 1 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SAMANTHA-7J7WZ2 Application started

There are 17 of these altogether. I posted only a few of them

4. Covenant

Covenant

I'd recommend a few updates...go to the manufacturer's website and select your model. You will be able to download all of your drivers here from their support section.

The one I believe will help you most is a BIOS update. Especially since this was needed for some systems before installation of newer operating systems were stable.

After you have that concentrate on having the newest version of other drivers such as VIDEO, AUDIO, NETWORK, etc...

5. komodo24

komodo24 Thread Starter

is there any danger when updating the bios? This something that I have never done and don't want to mess anything up. I have all the new device drviers there is a bios update I think but I'm not sure how to update this

6. komodo24

komodo24 Thread Starter

I found an update for the bios for my system however when i boot up my laptop it says bios version A 9 and the file i downloaded states revision A10 to A 11.

7. Covenant

Covenant

BIOS Dangers.

If you are loading the BIOS from a floppy boot disk...then your only real danger would be of a power surge shutting your computer off in the middle of the update. This is incredibly unlikely.

If you are loading the BIOS from a BIOS flash (while in your OS) then other programs interfering could cause a problem. Although more dangerous than the above method...it's still very safe. Especially if you ensure no programs are running.

Give me the make and model of your system and I'll check to see if you've got the right update. (Service tag or other info helpful)

8. komodo24

komodo24 Thread Starter

Dell Precision M40 Pentium 3 service tag 7PM9511

I looked on the dell forum on their website and it said something along the line that updating the bios could cause further problems is this true? I would also use the floppy method. Thanks for your help

9. komodo24

komodo24 Thread Starter

if this was true why would they have updates lol

10. needafix

needafix

Depends on your provider. In the place I just moved from one could never tell if it would be a brown out at half voltage or fire shooting out of the wall outlets. :D

11. komodo24

komodo24 Thread Starter

lol I know what you mean thy just needed to rewire the place that I live in now lol...

12. Covenant

Covenant

This is definitely the update you're looking for...
    ----------------------------
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=4&fileid=61567

Floppy
    M40-A11.EXE
    Description: This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the instructions to create a set of floppy diskettes, and then use the diskettes to complete the installation.
    ----------------------------
    Also...when updating drivers you can update from A01 - A11 in a single update. (Dell uses the A?? format) It's not like running a patch where you really should look at your version number.

When you updated to Windows XP...was it XP Home or XP Pro?

This looks as though it describes your event log errors...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;909444

The problem is most likely not the BIOS. These errors are permission errors so this is going to be about 100% software troubleshooting here...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/417776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice