1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer freezing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by novice _user, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. novice _user

novice _user Thread Starter

:( my Compac Presario 5106CL keps freezing. By freezing i mean that what ever i am doing i do not have control of the cursor it stays in one place and i cannot move it, where ever i am (surfing, checking e-mail, playing games on or off the internet) the page stays the same. The only thing i can do is unplug it and re boot. i hope someone can help before i pull all of my hair out. I have windows xp (recently upgraded from Me
    Thanks '

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

With out more system info on this computer I would be tempted to say that this might possibly be caused by either memory (Ram) or an overheating problem.

It might even be the upgrade to XP from ME.

Please send some more information if possible.

3. novice _user

please let me know what system info you need . i dont think it was the upgrade from me to xp because it was doing this prior to the change. I have also upgraded the memory and it looks like there is free memory space. i have tried to defrag a couple of times but it will freeze while doing that too!

4. novice _user

today i have been on for 2-3 hours without any problems but last pm it was freezing often

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If it was doing this prior to the upgrade then I agree it can not be the upgrade. That cuts out the OS. All that I can see is it might be heat related or Ram (memory).

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Go here and download the Memtest86 3.2 Release and run it
    http://www.memtest86.com/

Pleas epsot back the results.

6. infojunky50

infojunky50

Mine did the exact same thing when the batteries in my cordless mouse were dying. I put in new batteries and it's fine.

7. novice _user

I have an optical mouse but thanks for the info

8. novice _user

i did download the software for speedfan and will check that but i am reluctant to download Memtest 86 3.2 after reading on the site that you should know what you are doing before using that software. (As you can tell i dont and am flying by the seat of my pants ) Have you or anyone used this program? is the use of it self explanatory for one of Very limited computer skills as I???

9. Swiper

Swiper

MemTest is a fine program

If you have any issues at all with memory or even just one stick, this thing will find it.
    I use it for computers I work on to test

find it : http://hcidesign.com/memtest/MemTest.zip <==== here

for the freezing problem, if this memtest checks thing out ok, then I would open up the side of the tower, clean it up in there, and see if you have any fans not running.
    CPU, video card / power supply etc..... ( could be heat related issue)

good luck
    Swiper

10. jparr111

jparr111

How old is your computer? If OLD...try cleaning the cooling fan.
    What anti-virus and spyware programs do you use?

11. novice _user

I have Symantec firewall and the antivirus is Windows that I believed came with the Windows xp. In attempt to solve problem iI have maxed out on the allowable memory that this computer suggested. When I added the memory I did clean out the tower. the fan seemed to be working fine, This computer is about 5 years old >

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice