1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer froze, now when computer boots up monitor doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by louriec, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. louriec

louriec Thread Starter

Hi Tech Support Guys and Gals,
    I was using my Hp laptop and the screen randomly froze. I manually powered off the computer and now when I turn it on, I hear one longer beep followed by two short ones. In addition, the screen doesn't work. If I let the computer keep working and boot up, I eventually hear the welcome screen theme play so it seems like the computer keeps functioning, but the monitor won't work. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Do you ever see anything on the monitor at all, like the POST screen or manufacturer's logo before Windows loads?

If you have a monitor you can use, can you connect it to an external video output on the laptop and switch the laptop to use that output?

3. louriec

louriec Thread Starter

Hi there I do have another monitor and I tried it but the other monitor will not display anything either. And to answer your first question, I never see anything when I turn on the computer, no post screen or manufacturer logo either. I was on Hp's site and they suggested reseating the RAM. I tried but could not locate where the RAM was nor how to pop off the bottom of the laptop where I think the RAM is...thanks for all the help thus far!

4. good grief

good grief

When the screen controller blew on my Acer laptop, the screen went black. However, when I looked carefully from different angles right beside a window, I could just make out the desktop, and I could hear the normal sounds. Mine refused to boot after that, unlike yours, but I'm wondering if it's the same thing.

From what they tell me, the screen controller is located in the screen casing at the bottom under the screen, and is an inverter module that controls the power to the backlight. I'm thinking if it is this controller that's gone, and it has to go through this controller first, then maybe that's why it's not showing anything on the other monitor as well? Hopefully someone here can confirm if that's how it works.

My laptop was still under warranty, so they had to replace it for free since this was a hardware issue.
    Hope this isn't leading you on a wild goose chase, but it's something else to look at, anyway. :)

5. Oily

Oily

You can look at Beep codes here-

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

It seems with an Award bios that 1 long and 2 short beeps "Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information."

Could be trouble with your GPU....

6. louriec

louriec Thread Starter

Yea I figured this might be the case. I think I missed my laptop still being under warranty by about a month....super. I'm not as familiar with the components of the laptop and taking it apart but does anyone know any step by step process I could do to fix it myself or is this a new part I need and that I'll have to send the computer back to Hp? On the Hp website it suggested reseating the RAM, but I haven't the foggiest how to do it...

7. Oily

Oily

As you are not familiar with taking apart a laptop it might be best to give the supplier where you got the laptop a phone and if it is only a month out of warranty try and see if they will fix it for you anyway..you never know might be worth a shot!!

8. louriec

louriec Thread Starter

I feel like I could take apart the laptop as long as I had guidance. I've done it in the past to desktops but for some reason the bottom of my laptop is being stubborn. I think I located where the RAM should be, but it's under where my battery is held and I cant' remove the piece that divides the battery and RAM stick...if anyone had a diagram or steps i think I could do it...basically I'm trying to avoid taking it somewhere if I can to avoid it costing an arm and a leg...does anyone have a guess at how much this would cost to bring it somewhere like Best Buy or somewhere similar? And for that matter, what places besides Best Buy would do a repair like this?

9. bassamnz

bassamnz

During startup, (u will not see anything as u said, the display does not work) press cntrl alt del... try it..

10. louriec

louriec Thread Starter

ok what am I supposed to be looking for when I press ctrl + alt + delete

11. bassamnz

bassamnz

the display will miraculously start to work... atleast thats what happened to me :p

12. louriec

louriec Thread Starter

i'm jealous...it didn't work. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to bring it somewhere less someone can give me an in depth step by step to reseating my RAM. Anyone know roughly how much it might cost me to get it repaired by someone like Best Buy assuming it's not covered under warranty?

13. ekospb

ekospb

well, considering that one of those places just charged a guy I know about $400 to swap a hard drive in his.... Depends on what's wrong with your laptop. I'd probably take it to a small PC repair shop and ask their opinion on it first. It is very hard to diagnose the problem remotely in your case, let alone help you get into the computer :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice