1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer froze, restarted, blue screen "disks need to be checked for consistency"...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cowboyj28, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

It ran through, not sure what that means.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Try..
    Boot from Xp Cd...when prompted press [R]
    Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
    When prompted for password.
    Press Enter.
    Type chkdsk /r [note space ]
    Window will fix errors..
    Type Exit
    And press Enter.

The Bios will need to be set to boot from the Cd - if not already set to do so.

3. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

Ok thanks. I will do that. And what is this going to do? I've been having a ton of other problems and posted in the virus section awhile ago, but I haven't received a response yet.

4. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

Ok it finished and it said "found and fixed one or more errors on the volume".

5. blues_harp28

Ok - and where are we now?
    Blue screen - yes,no?

6. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

Yes I get the blue screen when I start, and if I try to run something it goes to a black screen. I think I may have a virus.

I ran MBAM but it couldn't complete, said it had to shut down. Then got the error message DrWatson Postmortem Dubugger encountered a problem and needs to close. The error report showed this file.....Temp\WER345a.dir00\drwtsn32.exe.mdmp

Tried to run MBAM in safe mode but wouldn't complete, said it had to shut down, so I restarted my computer and got the blue screen: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ....dump of physical memory. Then tried to restart windows started then went to black screen.

Also, I got fed up with Avira, it kept giving me error messages, and it wouldn't update. I posted on their forum, but was told to post a hijackthis log but they didn't find anything. So I uninstalled Avira, and installed AVG Free 9.0. I started to run the virus scan, and somewhere near the beginning my computer screen went black again, so I had to force a reboot. Now I get the error message system has recovered from a serious error.

I am having so many problems with this awhile ago, and it's just getting worse until my system will be unusable. I really need it for school, and it's making everything take so long. I really appreciate you helping me.

7. blues_harp28

Hi first try..
    Turn the computer off and disconnect it from the power
    Take off the side of the case and touch the bare metal chassis to discharge static.
    Remove Ram..Video cards from their slots

Plug in the RAM [one stick at a time].
    Also try different slots.
    Ensure it is seated correctly.
    Reseat Video card.

Check Hard drive and Motherboard connections [IDE]
    Take them off and reseat them.

Inspect inside for dust etc>and remove.

Check Device manager.
    Start>run>type
    devmgmt.msc

Any yellow exclamation marks? - you may need to update drivers.

Also run a memory test.
    http://www.memtest.org/

Download and burn the ISO to CD
    Boot from that CD and run the memory test overnight or at least for a few hours.

8. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

No yellow exclamation points. I recently updated my video drivers.
    I will open system and reset all parts.
    As for the memory test I've never done that before. I went to the link. Which one do I choose? And which file extension? Can I download it from my girlfriend's laptop onto a disk? Don't know if my computer would be able to download anything anymore, it keeps shutting down whenever I tried to download or run anything else.

9. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

Also I didn't mention that I have Linux Ubuntu installed on my computer. A friend installed it for me because of all these problems I was having before, my system became completely inoperable. But because it was only the basic I couldn't download any online games or other things from windows, so then I reinstalled windows XP again. Should I just uninstall Ubuntu from my computer? Would that be having any effect on my system?

10. blues_harp28

Your girlfriend will need to have burning software installed.
    Burn the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO to the Cd >then boot from the Cd.
    Choose.
    Memtest86+ V4.10 (04/05/2010) **

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
    You need to burn the Image file.

Ubuntu - was it installed on it's own on your Pc or inside Windows?
    When you reinstalled Xp - it would have removed Unbuntu.

11. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

No it's installed separately. When my computer starts I have to select Windows XP or it will automatically open into Ubuntu.

We are trying to write the Memtest files to the CD but it's saying windows cannot open this file. Then it gives you choices to open from a list, or search the web. We're novices at this, so not sure if we're doing it correctly.

12. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

On start up there's a selection on my computer that said Ubuntu Memtest86 v2.11. I'm running it now, but don't know if that applies to my whole system or just Ubuntu.

13. blues_harp28

Very strange - Ubuntu is like an installed program - if installed inside Windows.
    It will be testing the installed Memory on your Pc, not Ubuntu.

Ubuntu must have been installed - after you reinstalled Xp or it would have been removed during the Xp install.

14. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

I am not sure how it's set up but it's definitely in there and still running.
    Anyway, this memtest is now running, but not sure how to read what it's showing so far or what it means.
    The L1 Cache is blinking.
    It is now at Test #7, Test 6%, Pass 66%
    The line that starts Walltime, Cached, etc., at the end Errors showing so far 307200

15. blues_harp28

I will take some time to run - when done, let us know what it finds.

How much Ram [memory] do you have installed?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice