1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Games freezing up (think its a computer problem)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Seymour Buttz, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seymour Buttz

Seymour Buttz Thread Starter

Ok this is my first time on this site and i have little understanding of the computer but let me try to explain the problem as well as i can.

Ok most of my games are freezing up during gameplay such as Everquest freezes up for no reason or same for Guild Wars. I think its something wrong with my computer (but no sure the problem) or it might be something wrong with the graphic card. I can telll the difference between lag of a game and the game just freezing up for no apparent reason.

If you need me to say what kind of computer i have or what graphic card i currently have, please say so.

If there is a program that i need to download to help fix this problem, i trust you guys seeing as you know more than i do.

Can you guys please help me out?

2. Seymour Buttz

Also the non online games are messing up or not being able to be played at all.

I also cant run a program while i am playing a online game such as TS (Team Speak) and Everquest at the same time without the game freezing up more frequently.

I hope that those will also help on how to help me fix my computer

3. Seymour Buttz

Come on guys,This is a problem that is really making me mad with the game freezing up.

At first it was only doing it a few times but sometimes it started to do it every couple mins.

Can you guys please help me?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

You need to tell us your hardware as this could be heat, inadequate psu, virus or spyware and actually a few other things. And be abit more patient, this is Sunday!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check.

1 Check your temps in the bios when it freezes [you need to restart anyway just enter the bios and check temps.

2 Download and run memtest there can be no errors.

3 List your exact specs ie make and model of mb, make and wattage of power supply, type of video card, etc.

4 Restart the system in safe mode and run an app that will stress the system; I like to use prime95. If it runs prime95 ok in safe mode, that points at a software / driver issue. If it freezes in safe mode, that points at a hardware problem.

6. Seymour Buttz

Just to list my hardware. I have a Windows XP Compaq Intel Pentium 4 Cpu 1700 MHz, 1.70 GHz, 1.00 GB of Ram

what is check temp in the bios? sorry i dont know how to do that :(

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you restart, you should have the option to enter the bios or setup. For a compaq I think it is F10; check your manual. In the bios you should be able to check temps; again check your manual.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

While that could be heat, on that age Compaq I would more likely bet on dying hard drive.

9. Seymour Buttz

Yeah before i posted here someone told me to first take apart my computer and clean it out first with a air compressor or a can of air (whatever its called).

Ill try that route first then ill check for heat, the reason i am i because i dont know the last time the thing was cleaned out.

Do you think that is the better route then check the temp?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes that's a good place to start

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice