1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer gives "no signal" on next start-up after power cuts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MattieSwift, Oct 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MattieSwift

MattieSwift Thread Starter

Hey all Mattie here. So I have had a problem with my pc for a couple of months now, when the power cuts off or if i fully turn the computer off and remove the power cord it will display no signal on the monior on next start up. When it does this the fans on my gpu don't spin and my keyboard/mouse don't light up (both connected through usb) I don't know very much on the hardware side of things and don't have spare components to replace different parts to find the problem. Now i did leave my pc in to a lad and he said.. "oh it's a little dusty it just needs cleaned" so he cleaned a little bit of the dust away and it worked.. great. When i got home it didn't work. If i leave my pc off and turn it on every now and again it will eventually work. This could take hours to days until that happens. See I work 6 days a week from morning to night with Monday being my only day off and EVERY single Monday for the past 2 months something has had happened with the electric so i never get a chance to actually use my pc! I don't get any beeps ect on start up. My guess would be the psu but as I said I don't know a lot. Since it has this power failure and fails post or doesn't get to it ect can i somehow reset it to try and restart freash? I don't think I can take the battery out of the mobo. Sorry for lengthy page of text xD based off the info i have given does anyone have a good idea of what the problem is? When my pc starts up properly again i can get all the details on each component and paste them in to help. But for some general info on the setup its:

Windows 10
    Intel i7
    H80i liquid cooler
    Msi z87-g45 gaming mobo
    Radeon r9 200 series ( I can never find the exact same card online)
    16g ram

Connected to display via HDMI

Would very much appreciate and help/advice given. Thanks

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Here is the support page for the MSI board:
    https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G45-GAMING/Overview
    If you have access to a good quality, 500 watt+, power supply and are comfortable with the task, lay the PC on its side & try another PSU. I often just set them on top of the old supply for quick testing and all you need to connect are the ATX, CPU, and video power connectors to see if it works. If it does, add the power for your hard drives and see if it then boots. If it doesn't, unplug the AC cord, take out the Radeon card, plug the monitor into the HDMI port on the system board, and try it again.
    If that works, try it using the original power supply and the video card out.

3. MattieSwift

Ok, just need to get another psu, thanks for taking the time to reply

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Cold boot problems are very often pw supply problems. What happens is when the unit if OFF or you remove the cord, the capacitors in the pw supply discharge and the subsequent attempt to pw on fails because the unit just does not have the pw to boot the system. If you then restart the system it will boot because the capacitors now have had a chance to recharge.
    As posted above, swap in a known good, quality pw supply for testing.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Also if you are having that much trouble with the electric you might want to get you a good UPS system. I use my UPS (basic) just to be able to shut down normally if the power goes off, some want to be able to keep computing (BIG UPS).

6. MattieSwift

Thanks a lot for all for the useful info everyone, I'll try and get myself a new psu and ups and see if it helps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice