1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer gone haywire, Failed reinstall, System Volume Error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by HateVista, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HateVista

HateVista Thread Starter

A couple days ago I had too much virtual memory being used and my computer blue screened for it's second time. Upon reboot the wi-fi/wireless internet receiver no longer worked and everything was pretty messed up. The help buttons no longer went anywhere and many of my programs weren't in the correct areas. Simply put, it was beyond repair.

I bought an external hard drive to back up the files that were important to me and tried to reinstall Vista using the original CD by booting from CD drive. I've installed it about 5-6 times and repaired it dozens of times. There seems to be a System Volume error, which has been around for over a year I believe. After every install the computer boots up and blue screens for a split second before restarting.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 and no longer know what to do. I've read I may need to replace the Hard Drive, which is no big deal, but would like to know if this is really where the System Volume error originates from. There is nothing on the computer I want to salvage (memory-wise).

Also, the error has been around in disk checks for a very long time, I just didn't care because the computer still worked fine. It has been "repaired" dozens of times and I am certain I just need a new part.

Any other tactics I should use? Or parts I should replace? I love my computer, please help!

2. valis

valis Moderator

welcome to TSG. what is the system volume error? Knee-jerk reaction is that the HD has gone south. What is the mfg of the laptop?

3. HateVista

HateVista Thread Starter

not sure what mfg stands for, but it is a stock dell inspiron. the during repair it simply says there is system volume error and then it tries to fix it, says it was successful, then trys to start and blue screens. im going to run another repair to see if it gives me more info, but sometimes it doesnt detect and error and sometimes it does

4. HateVista

HateVista Thread Starter

also, when running the disk check after install it either freezes on one file or finishes without detecting anything bad

5. valis

valis Moderator

neither of those are very good signs for the hard drive.

Since it's a dell, when it's totally turned off, hold the fn button down and press the power button. This is start dell's diagnostic boot.

6. HateVista

HateVista Thread Starter

I was gone for a few hours and when I returned I turned on the computer and it actually went through the entire boot sequence and loaded for the first time since I reinstalled Vista. But the wireless was still not working and now wouldn't even indicate that it existed (it is built in). And an old wireless receiver I attached wouldn't work either. So after removing personal files I rebooted the computer and it no longer turns on again. I ran the system diagnostic and it just ran into an error. I can upload a picture if needed but the error says;

Error Code 0142
    Msg : Error Code 2000-0142
    Msg : Unit 1 : Drive self test failed. Status byte = 79.
    The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.

It asked if I wanted to continue and I said yes, now it is running the remaining test.

Also, I don't want to call Dell because last time they connected me to someone in India who said I would have to pay $50 to get any help (never again will i buy Dell. Ever.)

7. valis

valis Moderator

That is definitely the hd. Time to get a new one. You should be able to buy one pretty cheap at newegg or amazon. Bht that hd is cooked I'm afraid.

8. HateVista

HateVista Thread Starter

ok thank you for your help. going to go buy one tomorrow

9. valis

valis Moderator

good luck.....keep us posted.

10. HateVista

HateVista Thread Starter

Why. Why does nothing in my life ever make sense.

I got a new hd. A WD Scorpio Blue. Same specs as my stock one, 250gb 8mb 5400rpm. Got home and put it in, started up the computer, installed Vista. Everything went nice and fast and it was an obvious vast improvement from the last hd. Then it tried to start for the first time. The black loading screen went through the same amount of bars as the last hd and then froze for a split second and blue screened. The EXACT same thing.

But I was not willing to give up. Previously I would disconnect my defective hd from my computer, knock on it with my fists a few times, shake it around, and reconnect it. This would (somehow) allow my computer to start. It worked the two times I tried but there were still too many underlying errors to ignore the problem.

Since I just bought the hd, I decided to not knock on it and instead disconnected the hd and hit my laptop where the hd would attach normally. After re-attaching and starting the computer........ it worked. 6 hours later, after downloading gigabytes of drivers and Vista updates, the wireless/wifi randomly began to work. And now the computer is everything I want and need.

The only problem is, I am afraid to DEATH of restarting my computer. I am afraid the chances of it successfully booting is slim to none. And I have dozens and dozens of updates and drivers that require my system to restart in order to apply.

I only need this computer for 5 more weeks, and then it becomes much less important to me, so for now I will hibernate it when not in use (the sleep option is grey and cannot be selected, probably waiting for one of the updates/drivers) as long as I can.

Also, after it blue screened on the first start-up I ran a repair and instead of showing the system volume error as before, it said there was an error that could not be fixed automatically, which is why I resorted to hitting my computer.

As a side note, the computer has been dropped twice from about 2-3 feet high 3 or 4 years ago, but never had problems until this week. I have taken it apart completely in order to clean it, so there is no issue of overheating.

11. HateVista

HateVista Thread Starter

ok. just wanted to update this for the last time. regardless of the blue screen I got when restarting with my new hd, my computer restarted against my will when I was occupied and the computer successfully restarted and applied the new updates. Everything is working perfectly and thank you valis for your help. Computers and software seem to never make sense, and thank god for the people who care enough to help, because, my god, they defy the laws of this world. Thanks again, you have no idea how much help, and how valuable your advice is.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice